Alienware Aurora R6 CPU upgrade question!

Discussion in 'Aurora / Aurora ALX' started by Radtech51, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Radtech51

Radtech51 New Member

Hello everyone! I just ordered my very first Alienware desktop computer the Aurora R6, with the new Intel Core i7-7700K processor. So I had a question about the upgrade ability of the system specifically the CPU. I was told by my sales rep that you can't upgrade the CPU on this system down the road if desired because the CPU is "soldered" to the motherboard?

Does the Aurora use a soldered ball grid array for the CPU? And if so is this very common in desktop computers now days? Thx

#1 Radtech51, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. 8*sectorb6

8*sectorb6 Member

don't know/ doesn't seem correct.\
    I remember reading a number of years ago about in the future chips to be integrated into motherboards..
    seems unlikely --wouldn't that mean each cpu Upgrade in system would need a new motherboard??

anyway I hope you enjoy your new Alienware..that chip should be good for Quite some time.

I am thinking the Aurora will be my Next new computer..

Let us know what you think

3. Radtech51

Radtech51 New Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply will do, really excited! Yeah I definitely got some misinformation from my sales representative. I actually just spoke with him today and he confirmed the CPU is not soldered to the motherboard and it can be upgraded if desired! However like you said the processor won't be needing an upgrade for quite some time.

PS: I was reading today that when people want to upgrade their CPU they are often forced upgrade their motherboard as well, so I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much. However it's still really good to know the option is there if needed. ;)

4. 8*sectorb6

8*sectorb6 Member

Are you happy with it?

5. Radtech51

Radtech51 New Member

YES! Very Happy ! ;)