How to Install Command Center for a Non-Alienware Motherboard

I'm glad it worked out; the stock USB 2.0 cable that runs between the old motherboard and the FIO AlienFx board is rather short and so most if not all R2 owners may need a new longer cable or an extension, for instance I might search usb 2.0 internal extension (on eBAY or google online) and pick one up that has 10 male pins on it and attach it to the stock cable, or simply purchase a new USB cable of about 20-22 inches

The front panel cable may also need an extension of the same type if the stock cable's too short

Why not load up a picture or two here (or on Dell Alien Club) of your new rig, the Max IX sounds nice, enjoy

Cass, I have a problem here again( Sidepanels stoped working. In order to turn them on after powering on the pc I have to open and reattach one of the side panels every time. Without doing so they wont lit up.

In May 2015, Garthman4 informed us "I managed to get Alienware Command Center to run - but the side panels won't stay lit for some reason (I need to pop off a door and pop back on the get them going again) / the side panels - they don't light consistently"

Side panels not lighting up after a motherboard swap is a known issue, the likes of which I personally do not know how to fix. I believe I heard that the side panels will light up if you restart the PC; if true, it sounds like a hassle. It is possible that 100% working AlienFx is only possible with some motherboards, but not all. I do not know how to fix this

It is possible, that since the LED lights go through a delayed lighting sequence (alienhead > front > sides), the side panels (which initialize last in the sequence), it is possible the Aliens sabotaged the rear FIO board to not light the side panels, in order to hamper motherbaod swaps

I might try to reinstall the very 1st CmndCntr version (A00 4.0.38.0 found on the driver support CD shipped with computers) - if no luck, proceeed forward with each newer version (A01, AO2) etc, see if older versions allow side panels lights in combination with your particular mthrbrd *shrug*

Let me report on my progress customising aurora r6 from my spare parts left after modding area 51 r2. I decided to put asus x99m ws motherboard in it and faced some problems. First is the backplate of the mobo. In this pc case the backplate of the motherboard is embedded to the case so I've cut it of. The bigger issue is traditionaly power on switch and the lighting. I think it would not be possible to solve this problem so I came to you guys. Although I don't know if this problem must be discussed under this thread. Please help me to find a way to make this power switch work and the lighting. There is a cable going from side panels and the power switch to OEM motherboard, it substitutes the ordinary 10 pin front panel cable IMHO. To understand what it looks like I will attach some photos.

*search for motherboard on off switch as a temporary work-around
*the case power on off switch (+ LED) appears to be proprietary, you'd have to figure out which of the two wires = on/off (voltmeter set to Ohms or Continuity tester when button is pressed can reveal wires, or physical inspection by sight etc) then adapt to that connector (or the one further downsteam aka LED Connector) somehow and route some wires to the motherboard front panel header

s-l1600.jpg
the proprietary mthrbrd in the R5 and R6 controls case lights through the lower left white LED Controller header, therefore, to swap the mthrbrd out is to lose case lights. I do not own this case, I would create a new thread in the Aurora sub-forum. As best as you can, photo the power on/off switch wiring, clearly label it. If it is part of the LED connector, be sure to say so (if both side panel LEDS and the on/off are all a part of the white LED connector, show photos and clearly label what is going on)
Capture.JPG
I don't see a backplate, explain which part of the case wall did you need to remove?
Capture.JPG
backplate on the OEM board is attached, isn't it? Explain in your new post what happened and why

Last edited:
Is there a special cable that needs to be connected? The only thing I have disconnected is the DVD drive, when I connect the cable to run the SD drive and the USB turn off the lights of the case, And if I disconnect that cable, the lights come on View attachment 2097

It finally worked, I changed the Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI card for a ROG Strix Z270H Gaming and now everything works, except that the side lights have to open and close the covers to turn on the lights, ...What will be the problem?

Hey I just recently received an Aurora R2 Case that included the MIO Board. It did not include the original motherboard however. Is there any way I could get the BIOS key or install an old version of the Alienware command center. The root of my problem is that the "top light panel" that the cpu watercooling pump plugs into ( the stock one) is running the fans and the pump, but I don't think that they are running as much as needed after boot. While the system is booting, the fans spin at a fast speed which would be sufficient, but then when the login screen comes up, they slow down a lot. I think that the same is happening for my watercooling system. I heard from the person that I bought this from that the command center could fix this, however the original motherboards BIOS were corrupted and that motherboard is now gone. I would appreciate any help with obtaining this BIOS key or in fixing the cooling problem. Thanks

'when the system is booting, X happens' ... so there's a motherboard in it, if so, what kind. Any mthrbrd should be able to run 2.8.9. For 2.8.11 / 3.5 / 3.6, use the data provided here for the R4 (if text file appears in my post here, download it, use it to temporarily patch it into the Bios as instructed). The computer should turn on, maybe fans get high at 1st then settle down to about 800-1200rpm, that's normal. The pump should simply get 12volts and run at full speed, with or without CmndCntr. In otherwords, when a person installs Windows for the 1st time, there is no CmndCntr software yet, so the computer / MIO board has a type of baseline ability to run pump and radiator fan to keep CPU cool. Aurora / Area-51 fans tend to ramp up on 1st startup by design. If your CPU is overheating (let us say 55c or over at idle is a bad sign), then yes, there's a problem. Otherwise, idle temps of 25-45 are normal, the sign of a pump running, running on 12volts. Get 2.8.9 installed, see what happens. Later u can overwrite it once u figure out how. Until u say the temps are bad, it sounds like it works normal. 4000rpm fans (full / max speed / hair dryer) are the sign of a problem, not a temporary whoosh til u hit the desktop

Attachments

75DB5907-95DA-4CD3-A724-4B3860C90AC3.jpeg Hi, sorry for taking to long to answer, I’ve been on vacation) So, talking about the backplate I meant the part shown on the picture. It doesn’t allow to put any third party mobo. I’ve cut it off.

About wiring. I’ve connected pled + pled - on my mobo to the red and orange; and power+ power- to the black and grey wires accordingly. So I was able to get the power switch working and lighting (it lights in red and I can’t configure it but its ok for me) Sidepanels not working though. Seems to be an unresolving problem. Thanks for help!

'when the system is booting, X happens' ... so there's a motherboard in it, if so, what kind. Any mthrbrd should be able to run 2.8.9. For 2.8.11 / 3.5 / 3.6, use the data provided here for the R4 (if text file appears in my post here, download it, use it to temporarily patch it into the Bios as instructed). The computer should turn on, maybe fans get high at 1st then settle down to about 800-1200rpm, that's normal. The pump should simply get 12volts and run at full speed, with or without CmndCntr. In otherwords, when a person installs Windows for the 1st time, there is no CmndCntr software yet, so the computer / MIO board has a type of baseline ability to run pump and radiator fan to keep CPU cool. Aurora / Area-51 fans tend to ramp up on 1st startup by design. If your CPU is overheating (let us say 55c or over at idle is a bad sign), then yes, there's a problem. Otherwise, idle temps of 25-45 are normal, the sign of a pump running, running on 12volts. Get 2.8.9 installed, see what happens. Later u can overwrite it once u figure out how. Until u say the temps are bad, it sounds like it works normal. 4000rpm fans (full / max speed / hair dryer) are the sign of a problem, not a temporary whoosh til u hit the desktop
that is for me Cass?

I successfully installed Command Center 2.8.11. It is displaying the thermals at around 23 degrees Celsius. At the same time Core Temp is showing that it is running at around 75. I also looked online and it appeared that the cpu pump appeared on the Command Center and had the status of "runnning" or it displayed the rpm. In mine however, it does not show up. I can confirm that it does pump though, as I can feel the heat being transferred through the tubes and can hear it.

Last edited: