How to Install Command Center for a Non-Alienware Motherboard

Discussion in 'Area-51' started by AVictorD, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Cass-Olé

I'm glad it worked out; the stock USB 2.0 cable that runs between the old motherboard and the FIO AlienFx board is rather short and so most if not all R2 owners may need a new longer cable or an extension, for instance I might search usb 2.0 internal extension (on eBAY or google online) and pick one up that has 10 male pins on it and attach it to the stock cable, or simply purchase a new USB cable of about 20-22 inches

The front panel cable may also need an extension of the same type if the stock cable's too short

Why not load up a picture or two here (or on Dell Alien Club) of your new rig, the Max IX sounds nice, enjoy

Arzumanyan Aram likes this.
  2. Arzumanyan Aram

With pleasure! IMG_3768.jpg

Cass-Olé likes this.
  3. Arzumanyan Aram

Cass, I have a problem here again( Sidepanels stoped working. In order to turn them on after powering on the pc I have to open and reattach one of the side panels every time. Without doing so they wont lit up.

4. Cass-Olé

In May 2015, Garthman4 informed us "I managed to get Alienware Command Center to run - but the side panels won't stay lit for some reason (I need to pop off a door and pop back on the get them going again) / the side panels - they don't light consistently"

Side panels not lighting up after a motherboard swap is a known issue, the likes of which I personally do not know how to fix. I believe I heard that the side panels will light up if you restart the PC; if true, it sounds like a hassle. It is possible that 100% working AlienFx is only possible with some motherboards, but not all. I do not know how to fix this

It is possible, that since the LED lights go through a delayed lighting sequence (alienhead > front > sides), the side panels (which initialize last in the sequence), it is possible the Aliens sabotaged the rear FIO board to not light the side panels, in order to hamper motherbaod swaps

I might try to reinstall the very 1st CmndCntr version (A00 4.0.38.0 found on the driver support CD shipped with computers) - if no luck, proceeed forward with each newer version (A01, AO2) etc, see if older versions allow side panels lights in combination with your particular mthrbrd *shrug*

5. Arzumanyan Aram

Let me report on my progress customising aurora r6 from my spare parts left after modding area 51 r2. I decided to put asus x99m ws motherboard in it and faced some problems. First is the backplate of the mobo. In this pc case the backplate of the motherboard is embedded to the case so I've cut it of. The bigger issue is traditionaly power on switch and the lighting. I think it would not be possible to solve this problem so I came to you guys. Although I don't know if this problem must be discussed under this thread. Please help me to find a way to make this power switch work and the lighting. There is a cable going from side panels and the power switch to OEM motherboard, it substitutes the ordinary 10 pin front panel cable IMHO. To understand what it looks like I will attach some photos.

6. Arzumanyan Aram

7. Cass-Olé

*search for motherboard on off switch as a temporary work-around
    *the case power on off switch (+ LED) appears to be proprietary, you'd have to figure out which of the two wires = on/off (voltmeter set to Ohms or Continuity tester when button is pressed can reveal wires, or physical inspection by sight etc) then adapt to that connector (or the one further downsteam aka LED Connector) somehow and route some wires to the motherboard front panel header

s-l1600.jpg
    the proprietary mthrbrd in the R5 and R6 controls case lights through the lower left white LED Controller header, therefore, to swap the mthrbrd out is to lose case lights. I do not own this case, I would create a new thread in the Aurora sub-forum. As best as you can, photo the power on/off switch wiring, clearly label it. If it is part of the LED connector, be sure to say so (if both side panel LEDS and the on/off are all a part of the white LED connector, show photos and clearly label what is going on)
    Capture.JPG
    I don't see a backplate, explain which part of the case wall did you need to remove?
    Capture.JPG
    backplate on the OEM board is attached, isn't it? Explain in your new post what happened and why

#27 Cass-Olé, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  8. voyagermix

It finally worked, I changed the Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI card for a ROG Strix Z270H Gaming and now everything works, except that the side lights have to open and close the covers to turn on the lights, ...What will be the problem?