Looking for 1060 advice

Discussion in 'X51 R1/R2/R3' started by rstone, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rstone

rstone New Member

I've been looking to upgrade the GTX 745 in my R2 to a GTX 1060. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding a card that is both a) under 9.5 inches so I don't have to modify my case and b) has blower-style cooling. All the blower cards I've found (that are available in Australia) seem to be 10.5 inches or longer. I figured I'd just get the Nvidia Founder's Edition and be done with it, but it turns out that doesn't ship here either.

At this point I'm tempted to just give up and get a non-reference card and trust in the X51's fans and ventilation to keep everything cool. Does anyone have any useful advice? Past experience with non-reference cards in the X51? Suggestions on cards I might have missed? Suggestions for very very minimal case mods (I'm thinking, like, easy ways I could stick a new fan on, but please consider that I know nothing about this subject)?

The list of cards I'm considering is here; only the ones with prices beside them are available in Australia. PNY and Zotac don't seem to sell cards here.

2. aldkiwi

aldkiwi New Member

Great question. I'd be interested in any cards you find or others are able to suggest - the range of cards available in NZ is perhaps even more limited!

3. ronsai

ronsai New Member

I bought a 1060 mini today it fits in my x51 r1 but same problem as yesterday my system
    Dont run it beeps 5 times and tjats all :( any helps maybe my mainboard is to old for the gtx1060

4. lotusman

lotusman New Member

I have an R1, originally equipped with GTX555, i7 and 330w power supply. Upgraded to add an SSD and 16gigs ram. Plus I made sure the bios was fully updated and then I added this:

http://www.provantage.com/pny-technologies-vcggtx10606pb-cg~7PNYV08M.htm

(They ship internationally. There is a 3gb version on their site, too)

Simple as swapping out the old card for the new. No problems since December.

#4 lotusman, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. ronsai

ronsai New Member

Correct the problem comes from bios
    Now it runs

6. rstone

rstone New Member

Ooh, that might be the solution to my problem, since it's 9.5 inches - I'd heard PNY had one the right size but didn't realise I might be able to get it shipped. Have you had any cooling problems? It says it's fan-cooled, rather than blower-cooled.

7. lotusman

lotusman New Member

It is a reference-style blower. Just like any other X51 Dell installed card. Temp-wise, no problems. I had a GTX660 in and it always ran the fan at max. The 1060 is definitely cooler and quieter. Sorry, no temp numbers to share (X51 at college with son right now).

8. ronsai

ronsai New Member

After two hours in Pubg in medium qualitys
    Its gains 82•celsius

9. Bigkims1995

Bigkims1995 New Member

I am not good at handling this.