Modded X51 R2 - in progress

Discussion in 'X51 R1/R2/R3' started by MURRARI, Jun 12, 2017.

1. MURRARI

Hey y'all,

Currently in the process of modding my X51 R2.

Ultimately I will be upgrading to an Asus Z97i motherboard, the case has been modified to allow fitment however the motherboard I bought off of eBay had bent pins and I am having trouble with one of the dimm slots.

For now, enjoy the progress photos.

List of mods completed:

1. Auxiliary noctua exhaust fan
    2. Painted chassis interior & exterior
    3. SSD
    4. Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB
    5. Cut openings for new motherboard

List of mods pending:

6. Motherboard upgrade to Asus Z97i-Plus
    7. GTX 1080 Founders
    8. Custom AIO cooler with external radiator with push pull setup

#1 MURRARI, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. MURRARI

Progress shots below:

IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2717.JPG

3. MURRARI

More progress shots:

IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2720.JPG IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2722.JPG IMG_2723.JPG IMG_2724.JPG

4. verbanon

looks great , im looking to mod my R1. Especially add more fans. Do you know where all the PWM connectors are on the mobo?

5. MURRARI

IMG_2856.JPG
    Thanks! It's getting there.

There are only two PWM headers . One up top and center for the CPU and one down in the bottom right for the front exhaust fan. There is a 3pin header on the right side reserved for the daughter board fan too.

6. verbanon

great pic! Ok so no extra's.... So if i want more pwm fans i can use a splitter?
    I wanna mod it the way the xbox 360 S is. The fan right above the cpu , with an opening to vent te warm air. I believe the shroud design is not efficient.

What do you think?

7. MURRARI

I have a splitty9 splitter but haven't put it to use yet, my plans are too elaborate for the stock motherboard and psu. However, I don't think you'll have a problem adding a fan or two with a splitter.

8. verbanon

great thanks! Please keep posting your progress :)

9. MURRARI

Sure, anytime. Please check out our Instagram account: Instagram.com/alpharex_tech

10. MURRARI

Just ordered a Corsair RMX750 PSU, should be here Sunday. Hopefully I will have time to install it, I'll post photos after installation.

11. Gamerb0y

Hello. Great mod. I am thinking of doing the same thing but i dont have the time or the skills lol.

I have a quick question as i can see you have good knowledge about x51. Can I use the x51 r2 motherboard in r1 and upgrade the processor without upgrading the powerboard as my r1 motherboard died ?

Thanks

12. MURRARI

Hello,

Thanks for the recognition, I take pride in the work.

Yes, you should be able to use the R2 motherboard in tandem with the R1 power board with little to no issues. I have not done this first hand but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

13. MURRARI

Well, I was able to successfully install the Nvidia GTX 1080 FE GPU in the X51 powered by a Corsair RM750X PSU. Super happy with this!

Stay tuned for better photos and more results.

Capture.PNG rsz_1image.jpg

14. MURRARI

Update:

After playing PUBG on this machine for 30min I experienced high temps on the GPU. Until I can liquid cool this beast I am going to have to put this on the back burner for a little while. Stay tuned for progress.

15. MURRARI

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts kid.

It is far from being finished but I made great progress tonight. The PC boots, now my obstacles are cable management, wiring up a splitty9 splitter for my fans for custom liquid cooling loop, and then to install the GTX1080. I would also like to fabricate a custom front panel from metal and polish it to a mirror finish... stay tuned, stay hungry.

X51_01.jpg X51_02.jpg X51_03.jpg X51_04.jpg X51_05.jpg X51_06.jpg

16. MURRARI

Some of the liquid cooling components just waiting to be installed...

X51_07.jpg

17. Ravgov

Really great job!!!! Thnx for posting and keep it going!

The x51 is a great machine. I have the X51R2 with a mini evga 1060 and a corsair ssd and it rocks! Its very stable with windows 10, and actually is better than the macine I bought back in 2014 (windows 8.1 and gtx745) and can play almost everything now on HD settings and very decent fps.

This should become a sticky thread to be honest, as the X51 is now history :( , but Im sure that many of us would try to keep it as long as possible with upgrades, because its difficult to find such a compact case nowdays, add also that alpha is already dated with the 9 series GPUs!!!

thnx MURRARI!

18. MURRARI

No problem, thanks for the recognition.

I totally agree, the X51 is a fantastic case and there is plenty potential to tap into. Now that I modified mine, it is future proof and will accept any ITX MOBO and components. Not to mention the future promises compact, energy efficient, yet powerful machines.

Very excited to see the future of PC components.

I will keep the mods coming, don't you worry.

19. MURRARI

UPDATE:

So, I had been having issues with the first Z97I-Plus motherboard not seeing the second DIMM slot, tried reseating CPU & RAM, cleaning connector with compressed air and had no luck. My assumption is that I did not get the pin alignment correct when re-bending. So, I purchased another board, again with slightly bent pins and one bad pin. I ended up breaking the bad pin, however in its original state it booted and showed both ram slots. This was not the case when I tested after bending back. Altogether now I have two working Z97I-Plus motherboards with one DIMM slot not working on each---frustrating!!! And they are alternate on each board. Anyhow, my goal is to bend the pins some more and try perfecting them so the second DIMM slot is recognized, then I can complete this build.

I will do my best to complete it this weekend and update with some photos of the working machine with GTX1080 installed!