New poster needs some input

Discussion in 'Aurora / Aurora ALX' started by VruKatai, Aug 11, 2017.

1. VruKatai

I have a 2009 Aurora ALX x-58 (bios A11) with i7 920 and 12 mb stock ram. Im looking to upgrade what I have as much as I can without changing out mobo. My questions are:

1.) Has anyone had any issues dropping in a 975x, 980x or 990x? Is it better to just stay with the 920 at factory OC (3.2 ghz)

2.) Considering dropping the stock ram 1333mhz (6 modules) for 3 1600mhz per the manual using slots 1,3 and 5. Is this even worth doing? I know its not if I leave in the 920 but would it be worth it with one of the above named options?

3.) After all this time, I'm still reading 27-32c with command center with my stock liquid cooler. 44-48c with a secondary temp tester. Im considering a.) buying a used oem liquid cooling unit just to take apart and attempt a refurbish, b.) leaving it as is but cleaning up contact and pea-dropping new thermal paste (would do if I upgrade cpu) or c.) just go third party Corsair H80. One way or another its 8 years old and it's time I start considering options. Thoughts?

4.) Any recommendations for a converter for my ssd drive into the factory 5.25" slot? Ive bought a few and nothing fits quite right. It's just kinda sitting in there atm. Also, is there some pcie card option that I would be able to boot from to get SATA 3? Sata 2 is obviously better than the 1.5 I was running stock but I would LOVE to get the 6gb/sec if possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I know I could buy new or upgrade the mobo and all that but I'm just trying to max out what this ALX can do. She's been a solid computer for years. I just recently got USB 3.0 functionality, a GeForce 1050 Ti (went from a 460) and I'm making little upgrades here and there (my next is to find replacement bay shroud with battery pack so I can get lighting inside). Im not looking for latest/greatest beyond what this machine can handle as-is.

2. Cass-Olé

1) & 2) due to the serious reduction in cost, I'd say get the memory, and drop in anything better than an i7 960 and higher

3) upgrade to 01YGW Aurora R4 Premium cooler (stock 27mm wide aluminum / premium 38mm wide copper)
    4) original SSD caddy = 6XD4C , but you can't get SATA 3 on that mthrbrd ... you'd need to drop in an R4 board + IvyBridge-E, or go after market board + 6700k 7700k 8800k etc

3. VruKatai

Thank you for the response. I'm not going to go full mobo swap for the SATA 3 so I'll live with the limitation but that's good to know because that's the point of these upgrades for me, pushing this old beast to it's limit. I love this thing. It's not latest/greatest but I've yet to run into any issues yet beyond video card-related ones fixed simply enough.

This is some solid advice, so again, thank you. I'm probably going to go with the 980x (although I've read I could go 990x), the *specs* in the manual stop at 980x so that's my best bet.

I just now need to do some research on what I have for cooling currently, RM4CG (sorry not sure how to link items, new here) to see if I have to go standard or premium. Im not sure if Im already at 27mm or 38mm or if I can go the premium cooling route and just use the cradle/adapter that connect the head of the on to the actual cpu if Im at 27mm.

One last question if I can, Im at bios A11 and there's a feature called "Level 1 overclock" which is some factory thing but what I use for oc-ing. Its been solid. However, putting in a 980x, will that bios revision adapt to new settings or would it just recognize the new processor and adjust accordingly? Im stuck at 4.8 GT and the 980x will add two more cores and run at 6.4 GT. I guess the tl:dr is can I just swap the processors and just boot up or will I need to get into the bios to adjust things? Im comfortable enough if that's the case but Im just unsure how Alienware proprietary bios works when changing processors.

4. Cass-Olé

I tried to archive CPU and memory overclocking help here: Alienware Area 51 Alx i7 980x

It should be, if insert new CPU then bootup into whatever Bios settings were already set, the Bios microcode should compensate for new different cpu. You can, and maybe should run an overclock Level 2, 3, (or 4) (Lvl 4 depends on CPU model), just to check it out, then revert back to Lvl 1 if desired. Bios page option to 'Load Optimal Defaults' will undo any overclock settings if desired or needed.

Only Aurora R4s got the optional 38mm cooler, yours is 27mm. If you buy 01YGW, you would not use the (IvyBridge socket 2011) retention ring it came with, you would instead re-use your original (socket 1366) ring.

Larger communities exist on other forums: Dellware forum or AlienArena

5. VruKatai

You've provided everything I was needing to know and I appreciate the time you've taken to answer. I've added those other two communities as well and will look for answers there as well if needed in the future.