Question about gpu upgrade

Discussion in 'X51 R1/R2/R3' started by LinaCrysta, Mar 10, 2017.

1. LinaCrysta

LinaCrysta New Member

Hello everyone this is my first time posting here ^.^
    I got an x51 r3 the i3-6100 3.7 ghz ,8gb ram and GeForce gtx 745 gpu ((just how it came from factory))

I got a 1050ti 4gb from a friend,it uses no external power connectors.I was thinking of upgrading my alienware with it but I got a question:
    from factory I got the 180w ((says so on the back label)) power brick,so far it has worked perfectly with this gpu it has but I read in some other sites to upgrade the gpu I would need to upgrade the power brick too.Does the 1050ti 4b with no external power connector would draw moren power than my gtx 745 or it can be safe to upgrade with this brick? Thank you so much for reading this and I hope some of you can help me with this.Have a nice day

2. LinaCrysta

LinaCrysta New Member

I said what the heck and put it on it.the 1050ti 4gb it works PERFECTLY even w both processor oc and gpu oc.i dunno how they made a system so power efficient XD its playing like a champ w just the 180w brick I got from factory,epic fps smooth gameplay.im very happy ^.^

SWAT_Glock likes this.
  3. Ravgov

Ravgov New Member

I bought the w330 just to be sure for the GTX 1060 6gb.

However from all user reports it seems that the GTX 1050 can run perfectly with the small psu. The larger psu seems to be required for upgrades incuding i7s and gtxs even higher than the 1060 (1070 or 1080 if u can fit them in the system).

cheers