X51 R3 Ram upgrade: What RAM is compatible?

Quick question, are you guys using DDR4 RAM on the R1/R2 models or on the newer R3? I am also looking to get a RAM upgrade for my R1 but I'm not sure if my motherboard can handle it... any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Quick question, are you guys using DDR4 RAM on the R1/R2 models or on the newer R3? I am also looking to get a RAM upgrade for my R1 but I'm not sure if my motherboard can handle it... any help would be greatly appreciated :D
The R3 takes DDR4. I know for a fact the R2 takes DDR3. I believe the R1 is DDR3 as well, but you can probably confirm by going to a ram providers website like corsair and usually they will have an option to put in what computer they have and they will tell you what model ram your machine can take as well as how much max ram you can take. (Although they are not always correct, since I was able to get 32gb ram in mine (R3) despite websites saying 16GB is max (for the R3)

Or maybe someone else on this board can confirm the R1 takes DDR3.

Just to not for anyone with the issue. Turns out that the Crucial DDR4 2133 modules were causing freezing in my machine, even after getting an RMA and a brand new pair. Stay away from Crucial!

I can actually answer this: It does! I bought this and popped it in and it works perfectly.

32GB DDR4 2666MHz

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Very interesting Luke! could you please specify your alienware configuration? is 6700 or 6700k? do you think it matter for to achieve 32gb ram? I am about to evaluate purchase and choose my alienware configuration.
Perhaps could you post a YouTube video about it?
Thanks!!

Very interesting Luke! could you please specify your alienware configuration? is 6700 or 6700k? do you think it matter for to achieve 32gb ram? I am about to evaluate purchase and choose my alienware configuration.
Perhaps could you post a YouTube video about it?
Thanks!!
Mine is the non-k 6700. Someone else with the k configuration couldn't get it to work. If someone were to try it out, I would suggest putting a single 16gb stick in first and see if that boots, then shut down and add the second.

hello,

i have Alienware X51 R3 with that system configuration:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 8GB, 2133, 2RX8, 4G, DDR4, NU

i want to upgrade my memory to 32gb will this memory is going to work on my computer?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng..._=oh_aui_search_detailpage&tag=pokchifor0d-20
That's the one I ordered for my R3 and it works for me. Others have said it has not worked for them. I have the non-k version of the 6700 processor. I have one word of advice if you want to try it. Put one stick of ram in at a time. One stick first, then boot up, then after everything boots fine, shut down and install the 2nd. For some reason it didn't work when I put both in the first time, it wouldn't post, so I shut down and pulled one stick out. It booted, and showed 16gb working properly. Then I shut down and put the second stick back in and it worked.