17 R4 camera login issue

josh bear

Jan 27, 2018
hi all

Would appreciate some help. This is my first PC for over 10 years so my tech knowledge is a little behind the times. I have a new Alienware 17 laptop and after set up it successfully logged me on every startup by looking at my face using the camera.

However for the past few days this only works some of the time. The rest of the time it says could not activate camera. The only thing I believe I changed was to change the mcafee trial that came with it to the full product.

Could the antivirus software be blocking the camera starting successfully and if so how can I fix this?

Thanks

Josh

skeemin

Sep 26, 2018
hi all

Would appreciate some help. This is my first PC for over 10 years so my tech knowledge is a little behind the times. I have a new Alienware 17 laptop and after set up it successfully logged me on every startup by looking at my face using the camera.

However for the past few days this only works some of the time. The rest of the time it says could not activate camera. The only thing I believe I changed was to change the mcafee trial that came with it to the full product.

Could the antivirus software be blocking the camera starting successfully and if so how can I fix this?

Thanks

Josh
Hi Josh,

I called Dell about this and they stated that it was due to a microsoft Windows 10 update. They have submitted the problem to Microsoft and expect it to be fixed in a future update.

I've had the same problem but has gotten better lately. Still have some issues after a reboot with camera turning off too soon. Guess we just have to wait.

Brandon