17R4 Won't Boot Unless Attached via HDMI to External Monitor

LOUDWORLD

I don't usually update just because one is available, I prize system stability over all other considerations due to multiple ongoing projects, but I felt an Adobe Creative Cloud update was worthwhile. After that update I got a warning in Premiere Pro that my video card (GTX 1080) driver was not compatible. It was the 360ish range driver series. I used my GeForce Experience to update to the latest Studio Driver; 456 range.

Then all hell broke loose! That driver was not compatible with PremPro plus I lost my Start button, it was still there, but didn't open. Programs could be accessed and run from the search menu, but clicking on the Start button triggered a dialog box that only offered you to log off. Even worse the unit wouldn't boot unless it was connected, via HDMI, to an external monitor. In my home studio I connect to a 21:9 flatscreen, but in the field I do not bring this monitor with me.

The unit kinda booted, showing the full screen but condensed to 2/3rds of the display (see image attached), my Tobiil will recognize me and log me on, and the mouse moves but it just flashes on and off, even if I leave it for an hour.

After some research I found a stable Adobe certified driver; 451.77 which I rolled back to, that fixed my Start button and PremPro problems, but it still wont boot unless connected to an external monitor. This morning I used AW Update to install a new BIOS and some other updates, but it did not fix my issue. I am sad that my 'Road Warrior' is misbehaving and hope the AW Community can help me restore it to its former glory!

Attachments

• PARTIAL BOOT.jpg
    PARTIAL BOOT.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0

MattyB

Hello, have you tried doing a System Restore to a point before you started having issues?

MattyB

When all else fails, a clean Windows installation usually does it. It's a pain though if you have lots of third party software and games.

Did you try going back to the 360 driver? If you go into the Display Settings, what is the max resolution you can select?

You could try to boot in Safe Mode. If it boots without the external monitor then it usually means that it's a software or driver issue.

EDIT: Does your laptop use Optimus?...does it have both Intel and Nvidia graphics options? You could try disabling the GPU in Device Manager, restarting the laptop and enabling the card again.

LOUDWORLD

I am in the middle of 3 big projects so I am putting off the rebuild if possible.

I wasn't able to determine the proper F key to get to Safe Mode, any idea?

I can get full res 2560 x 1440, but only if it is connected to an external. If booted that way I can unplug the external and then everything is normal.

Does not have Optimus, does have both GTX 1080 and Intel HD Graphics 630

MattyB

To boot in Safe Mode you hold the SHIFT key down and press Restart. Then you choose Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings. It should then show you the different Restart options. From memory you then click restart and then you can select Safe Mode (possibly option 4 but I can't quite remember).

LOUDWORLD

To boot in Safe Mode you hold the SHIFT key down and press Restart. Then you choose Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings. It should then show you the different Restart options. From memory you then click restart and then you can select Safe Mode (possibly option 4 but I can't quite remember).
So, if I disable the GTX1080 in Device manager I can then boot normally unattached so I think I will move my inquiry to the nVidia forum as the issue appears to be video card specific. I appreciate your help as I move one step closer to a solution.

MattyB

Well it should boot using the Intel 630 graphics. If it usually shows both Intel and Nvidia in the Device Manager then you should have Optimus enabled but since your machine is loading Windows so strangely then maybe you don't have Optimus like you mentioned before.
Or..... it's actually your Intel driver that is playing up

LOUDWORLD

I said I did not have Optimus. It is a good enough, though pain in the ass, workaround for now. I hope to delivery my projects at the end of November so I will do a full OS re-install rebuild once I can live without it for a couple of days. On a side note I recently purchased a MSI GE75 Raider for a client of mine to run mapping software. It is a very impressive machine, AW just might lose me when it is time for next laptop.