test

2 monitors advice

hey guys, these are my specs.

Intel Core i7-3770 Processor 3.4 GHz ( cache)
8GB DDR3
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
Windows 8
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

i was wondering if i would be able to purchase and set up 2 1080p 24inch or 22inch LCD monitors for my computer. also how bad would the frame drop be in games like word of tanks and league of legends?

also any recommendations on which monitor to buy, my price range is about 400 for both i know that's limited but any help would be awesome :).

thanks for the help guys.

Edit : also what would else would i need to purchase

sway

You should be able to run those games pretty easily with dual screens, they're not overly graphics heavy. You could always upgrade gpu later too, maybe to a evga 760. I'll let someone else jump in here on the screen options.

tappin from the N e x u s 4

thanks man, there goes my concern with the games. and i think ill wait till the 860 :) i don't see much reason to update when everything i wanna play runs max smooth at 60 fps. plus the power is said to be lower in the next set of gpu's from what ive heard so maybe an 870 will be able to run just as well .

Commy1

Yeah I run dual monitors with my EVGA 660, no preformance issues ever. I think you're underestimating your GPU a bit, the 660 will handle Crysis on High/Ultra at a steady 60fps or more if you set it up right. You'll be set for awhile :)

thanks for the input man :). yeah i guess i should have more confidence in my GPU haha. still looking for a recommendation on the monitors i should buy :).

sway

Have you thought about going with a 27" 1440p monitor? It'll be the best thing you've ever seen, games look amazing.

This is from a trusted eBay seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/321099912197.

These have been bought by many people and they love them, I'm fixing to order a couple in fact. This monitor also overclocks up to 120hz+. There's a thread on another forum dedicated to these monitors, I actually have a different brand 1440p and love it.

Shipping is incredibly fast, these prices can't be beat by any name brand here. These are Samsung pls screens that weren't "good enough" so they were put into a different bezel and sold from Korea where they're made. Mine is an lg screen in a different bezel sold by overlord, but mine also doesn't oc, which I would like in 1440p @120hz. It might not seem like a big step going from 1080p to 1440p, but it's actually a really huge jump in pixels, and colors look like nothing you've ever seen.

Last edited:

MattyB

That's a pretty good deal for a hi res monitor. Free international shipping too! May have to get on board with some!

Maelstrom

If you have dual monitors wouldn't the GPU take over on the one doing the gaming and the Intel Graphics keeping up with the other one? Assuming that you aren't using Eyefinity.

MattyB

If you have dual monitors wouldn't the GPU take over on the one doing the gaming and the Intel Graphics keeping up with the other one? Assuming that you aren't using Eyefinity.

I don't think so. I think you can only use 1 type of graphics at a time. From what I have read in the past, as soon as you plug in an Nvidia or AMD GPU, the integrated graphics is disabled automatically. This may have changed with the newest generation though.

You definitely wouldn't want to use both monitors for gaming. I would imagine that where the screens joined would be right in the center of your view. That would be annoying. I use one for gaming and the other for monitoring.

sway

You would def need 3 screens or surround for gaming, two would suck.

MattyB

I have been trying to find myself a third AW2310 monitor but now I'm contemplating selling these two and going for 3 of those ones you posted that link for. It may be a little too much res for a 670 though! The only way I can run SLI is if I have all monitors running off the same GPU

Maelstrom

I don't think so. I think you can only use 1 type of graphics at a time. From what I have read in the past, as soon as you plug in an Nvidia or AMD GPU, the integrated graphics is disabled automatically. This may have changed with the newest generation though.

You definitely wouldn't want to use both monitors for gaming. I would imagine that where the screens joined would be right in the center of your view. That would be annoying. I use one for gaming and the other for monitoring.

Huh, it would make more sense to do it that way. All of the GPU would go to gaming and then the other monitor(s) would get taken care of by the integrated. Is there some way to monitor integrated graphic usage?

sway

I have been trying to find myself a third AW2310 monitor but now I'm contemplating selling these two and going for 3 of those ones you posted that link for. It may be a little too much res for a 670 though! The only way I can run SLI is if I have all monitors running off the same GPU

I'm going to do the same, 3 qnix monitors in surround. Only thing is if you oc to 120hz, you'll need A LOT of gpu power. Even in some games 3 1440p monitors would bring my 2 4gb 670s to their knees. I'm waiting for the 780s to come back in stock so I can grab 2 of those. That's another thing, you'll need all the vram you can get with that many monitors at that res. I'm also waiting for ivy E, any day now.

MattyB

Nice article. Looks like I need to order 10 Titans now!

What I might do is sell one of my AW2310's and buy one of the high res monitors and use that one to game on. I really don't want to buy new desktop GPU's till the 8XX's. By then they should all be standard with at least 4GB VRAM.

sway

Nice article. Looks like I need to order 10 Titans now!

What I might do is sell one of my AW2310's and buy one of the high res monitors and use that one to game on. I really don't want to buy new desktop GPU's till the 8XX's. By then they should all be standard with at least 4GB VRAM.

Sounds like a plan, and let's hope your right about the vram.

MattyB

Well I hate to assume things but it would be a sensible way to go one would think.

sway

Well I hate to assume things but it would be a sensible way to go one would think.

I would've thought 3gb would've been the min now, but nvidia still putting out 2gb. At least their memory bandwidth is 256 bit on their lower cards now.