2005 p1 case lights??

Kaos8706

What kind of lights were behind the grills of the predator 1 cases? I don't like the red and I want to change them but I like the solid glow of them so I want to get the same kind$_1_260887737744623.jpeg

Chasm

I'm glad to have logged in today. This post inspired me to check the voltage of the front Alien head LED, as my emblem LED was not emitting, and may be the same for the lower grill lights, too. Per my Fluke 87 multimeter, the 'head' LED is at ≈5 volts DC.
I attached an external LED (#G17126 from Electronic Goldmine) with a small resistor (not sure if 250 Ohm 1/4 watt or 450 Ohm 1/4 watt) and it worked.

Attachments

Chasm

In my machine, the lights behind the lower grills appear to be 4" cold cathodes. The tubes are hot-glued to the interior of the front panel; just above the grills.

They look very much like these: https://www.amazon.com/4-cold-cathode/s?k=4+cold+cathode
I've attached a photo of the interior of my machine's lower grill; with what appear to be cold cathodes (x2).

Attachments

Kaos8706

Hi Chasm, Thanks for your replies and sorry for the late response I've kind of been working on the software side of the predator. Mine still has the cold cathode tubes in it as well and every time I even looked at them like taking them out they started cracking and sounding like breaking. I just didnt know what kind of LEDs they actually where I just hate red. When I got mine the side case vent was removed and the alien head up front(or sides honestly) didn't have any kind of illumination to speak of. The front didn't even have a bulb I found a spare blue one and essentially just wired it into the power LEDs pre-existing wiring. I"ll pull it out of the corner today to upload some more/newer/changes type pics since the side panels are currently in my buddies auto shop, I think it would be a good photo op. thanks again for the links and info!!

Kaos8706

I'm glad to have logged in today. This post inspired me to check the voltage of the front Alien head LED, as my emblem LED was not emitting, and may be the same for the lower grill lights, too.
I hard wired my front alien into the main power LED wiring I wanted it to go to the HDD indicator so the front would flash as my Alien "thinks" but for some reason when I tried that neither the blue LED behind the alien head or the orange HDD light on the front panel behind the door would light up. As an after thought, BTW, I just realized you did the port window. It looks great I am still tossing ideas with a possible extra window or vent, but for now I'm just going to settle painting it and more LED Accents I only connected the red ones for the images below I had them taped up out of the way with a Blue LED 120 in the front but that proved difficult on the side door

Attachments

Last edited:

Chasm

That's a cool idea to have the front alien head-emblem blink as the hard drive is accessed. I really like the blue glow in the front grill, too. I think I'll do that on mine, as well. Thanks much.

Kaos8706

That's a cool idea to have the front alien head-emblem blink as the hard drive is accessed. I really like the blue glow in the front grill, too. I think I'll do that on mine, as well. Thanks much.
If you do end up doing a blue LED to your grill definitely post pics of how you did it. I did it with a LED fan but I'm not honestly happy with the way it kind of jams the door and makes it a struggle to open/ close the side panel. I'm also considering doing like an IR LED strip that I can change colors at will.