2008 Area-51 Crashing

xpower

I bought my Alienware new in 2008.
The motherboard used is a EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz.

The issue I've had since buying it is that it would randomly freeze especially when trying to play games but could freeze for no apparent reason.

It went back to Alienware a few times and they said there was nothing wrong with it.
They did change the memory to a different brand and change the Graphics card from Radeon to a GeForce 280.

After Alienware's assurances I lost faith in the computer and it never replaced my old desktop which I continued to used.

9 years later I've decided to have another look at the Alienware to see if I can get it working as a living room games PC.

So I've installed new RAM, new 550W PSU, installed an SSD with Windows 10 on it and tried a GeForce GTX 960 also used a GeForce GT 530.

The new components didn't improve the stability of the system as it would still black screen or freezing randomly.
The temperatures look ok even when stressing the CPU and GPU.

So I'm running out of ideas as the only components left are the CPU and Motherboard.

I can post BIOS settings if this would help in diagnosing the cause of the issue.

Paladin

I am having problems with the thermal controller. Or command center. But what sounds familiar to me is the random freezing. Mine is doing that . Didn't before I loaded alienware drivers. Did you install any drivers on the new drive with windows 10 ?. If so ,try removing the alienware drivers and see if that helps. Make sure you have copies of the drivers. Good luck

xpower

No I didn't install any specific Alienware drivers. I did have a look on the Dell website but they don't seem to have legacy drivers listed there.

Seeing that the issues this computer has had I've been with the original the original installation of Vista and now with Windows 10 I wouldn't think it would be just driver related.

I ran FurMark for 37min without any freezing but as soon as I tired GTA5 the computer froze.

Was there any BIOS updates for this motherboard as the EVGA ones wont install?
Is there a conservative under-clocking for the CPU/Bus to improve stability?

Paladin

I just did a bios update . If you go to drivers and downloads ,click on." find it your self " click bios update, then download it. The version I went with is the a10 . So far no luck for me

xpower

I think the BIOS version reported is version 6:-
Capture_zpswlkz92o8.jpg

From reading other forums these boards were basically Nvidia reference boards that were then branded by the manufactures. Which means that in theory that manufacturer that updated their BIOS could be installed on another manufacturers' motherboard.

Here are the hardware monitoring report: -
Hardware_Monitor_zpsv5ao38pb.jpg