2009 Area 51 ALX Rear I/O LED Lights

Ganym3de

Jul 20, 2018
Hey fellow OW's. I've used this forum for many years to refurbish old Alienware cases for myself and local friends that admire the unique ID and features.
I've never seen or had my hands on this specific chassis but I learned a lot here and from Cass-Olé's posts.

The Rear I/O LEDs are the only thing that doesn't work on my recently acquired build. I've put new batteries in, I've checked and replugged seating for headers on the Master IO board and I've looked around to see if I'm missing a battery or wire plugged in somewhere to no avail, the manual and searching this and the Alienware Arena forum hasn't yielded anything so I'm hoping you can help.

It's possible wires got pulled out where I can't find them, let's just say there was an eBay shipping nightmare but the thing is a tank and I've managed to repair most of it. If you post a link to this being answer already I'm terribly sorry it's a bit hard to find something that might go by a few different names "Rear LEDs" "Rear IO" "Rear I/O" etc. but I'd still appreciate it very much :)

Edit: Just so there's no confusion on the chassis it is this one here.

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
604gc Int RGB Led.jpg
Above is the header, the harness is a 2-wire Blk/WHT, & label @ the connector-end says Rear_IO_L … it's normally found coming from out of the back lower-left access hole (as does the hard drive bays led harness & top left powerboard harness pair)
61+v7IwlyoL__AC_SL1500_ - Copy.jpg

the rear trim 'assembly' part# is U606R & may be harder to find these days than in the past. I won't be able to test how the switch & MIO header act as a system, I assume the MIO header puts out constant 5v, u can probe the 2pin connector for a reading, start there

Rear I/O Leds should light with PSU pluggd in, system off. Probe MIO header with a voltmeter w/ 2pin connector removed, see if u get a reading. If so, insert 2pin connector, try to get another reading at the top of connector where BLK/WHT wires/terminals are

Note: to remove U606R off of case, 'slice' the rear Dell factory label sticker (above PSU caddy etc) w/a razorblade etc to help removal

Last edited:
Reactions: Ganym3de

Ganym3de

Jul 20, 2018
Cass thank you very much. With basic troubleshooting out of the way and your information, I did take a multimeter to things and the MIO header is and I can confirm putting out constant 5v with power plugged in and system off. Looks like either the cable might be cut somewhere due to the shipping mishaps or the Rear I/O LED board is fried.

Thankfully I live near a Dell surplus warehouse that carries a bunch of Alienware stuff and looks like they have the assembly, among other parts that I might just store away since I plan on keeping this for myself as long as PC standards will allow lol (though honestly, it'll just become a "retro" gaming PC by then).

When I'm able to swap the rear trim and do more testing/troubleshooting I'll post it here so it's available for others.