test

680 SLI / 690 User Experiences

sunhillow

Hello.

I am about to order a new Aurora but I can’t seem to make up my mind about the video card choice

My first choice was the 690 but I know the 690 vents some of its hot air back into the case. I have read a few posts about folks who have had cooling issues because of it. So with that in mind I thought perhaps two 680s in SLI would be better since they vent all their hot air out the back. However, I saw some photos of the ALX chassis and it looks like the two cards are very, very close together. That makes me wonder if they would have cooling problems as well. I would go with just one 680, but I want to try 3D Vision and from what I understand that works best with a multi-gpu setup.

So, I was hoping some of you who have been using the 680s in SLI or the 690 could share your experience with them. Thanks in advance.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

..... aaaaand now the Nvidia 7 series is out. Guess I'll be waiting for those to be offered in the Aurora anyways. :)

I have a 690 installed with 3 screens and I have been really happy with the performance - I have had to run all the fans (PCI, HDD and GPU) all around 70% for the card temp to stay around 70-80 deg C.

I just spent $300 on a liquid cooling solution to the 690 which is amazing.

I think the 7 series will take a while to make it into the Aurora line up.

sway

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a gpu without a decent amount of vram. If your gonna need the horsepower I'd get a 780, it's 3gb vram and stock only about 8 percent away from titan performance. Sli that later and you'll have beast performance. That single 780 will save you some money over two 680s or a 690. Times are different and the need for over 2gb of vram are needed, especially with multimonitor, 3d, and high res setups.

tappin from a N E X U S

Commy1

Agree with Sway, with the 780 out now I'd grab that. You won't be able to order the Aurora with it, but get the 690 and sell it for like 900$, walk away with 250$ in your pocket because the 780 is about 650$. That is truly the best way to go.

stupreme

Personally I think if you get a GTX 690 or TiTan in your Aurora you are set up with an Awesome Rig, so why downgrade to a GTX780 ?
The GTX 690 is still the best Dual GPU Nvidia graphic card out there and TiTan best single GPU -

You would need a 3 way Sli GTX 780 to run surround vision on high-ultra graphics - 2 way SLI for medium-high
so to get the performance of a 690 the 780 would need to double up which cost more than a the Titan /690 plus you lose all your pci lanes.

The gtx 780 is an awesome new card though

Last edited:

sway

The 780 is basically a titan, it would be dumb to spend an extra 350$ on a titan to get that 8 percent performance. You def wouldn't need 3 780s too run surround at 1080p, my 2 670s can do that easily on ultra except crysis 3. 1440p surround now would be different, but using 3 or more gpus won't scale well on all games and sometimes that 3rd gpu might not give any extra performance, I've seen it actually be worse with a guy on another forum.

The more monitors or higher res/3d you run you need the vram, get a cheap gpu when you order, sell that and get a 780 or two. The titan only has that 6gb of vram going for it now, it's just not worth the 1k price tag anymore now that the 780 is out.

tappin from a N E X U.S

Last edited:

Commy1

Personally I think if you get a GTX 690 or TiTan in your Aurora you are set up with an Awesome Rig, so why downgrade to a GTX780 ?
The GTX 690 is still the best Dual GPU Nvidia graphic card out there and TiTan best single GPU -

You would need a 3 way Sli GTX 780 to run surround vision on high-ultra graphics - 2 way SLI for medium-high
so to get the performance of a 690 the 780 would need to double up which cost more than a the Titan /690 plus you lose all your pci lanes.

The gtx 780 is an awesome new card though

It's not a downgrade, you're missing out on the other features. It has higher vram frequency, and GPU boost 2.0 and as sway has said it's stock performance is only 8% less than a Titan, but that's easily fixed by overclocking. With the Titan and 690 sitting at 1000$ a card, the 780 would be more economical, not to mention it's next gen. At least when he goes to look at his specs he'll be up to date. I suspect the 600-700 series cards will last at least 5 years before they're totally useless.

sway

It's not a downgrade, you're missing out on the other features. It has higher vram frequency, and GPU boost 2.0 and as sway has said it's stock performance is only 8% less than a Titan, but that's easily fixed by overclocking. With the Titan and 690 sitting at 1000$ a card, the 780 would be more economical, not to mention it's next gen. At least when he goes to look at his specs he'll be up to date. I suspect the 600-700 series cards will last at least 5 years before they're totally useless.

Exactly, I have been reading and apparently the 780 oc's like a dream, stock it's already about 8% from a titan though. Even a slight oc puts it at stock titan performance, which is amazing. I'm hearing 25%+ performance over a 680. A 690 shouldn't even be in this discussion imo, yes it's powerful I won't argue that one bit, but with the 2gb of vram it's just old news and a waste for 1k. Plus op said it's for 3d so he needs more vram and power. One 780 would be perfect for 3d, two later for more if needed.

tappin from a N E X U.S

Last edited:

stupreme

SWAY SAYS - A 690 shouldn't even be in this discussion imo, yes it's powerful I won't argue that one bit, but with the 2gb of vram it's just old news and a waste for 1k.

GTX 690, Its not a 1k card in the UK - it costs between £650 - £750 compare that to £550 - £600 GTX 780 - Who cares weather 690 is dual GPU - that's just old BS , it's one card that fits in 1 pci lane and it has 4gb ram available
So you can buy a GTX780 for for around £100 less than the best most powerful graphic card Nvidia make.

If you have an Aurora R4 with only 2 pci lanes(which is what this thread was originally about before it got hijacked by the GTX 780)the GTX 690 or Titan is the best option , But if I was to build a new pc with a motherboard that has 4 pci lanes , I would go with 3 way GTX 780's - and yes you would need 3 way Sli gtx 780 to run Ultra graphics on surround vision @ 1080p - you could run 3 screens on 1 gtx780 card but it would be on lowest possible graphic settings@ 1080p and I doubt crisis 3 would even run at all on 3 screens on 1 gtx 780 it would be unplayable.

just though i'd throw that around

Last edited:

sway

SWAY SAYS - A 690 shouldn't even be in this discussion imo, yes it's powerful I won't argue that one bit, but with the 2gb of vram it's just old news and a waste for 1k.

GTX 690, Its not a 1k card in the UK - it costs between £650 - £750 compare that to £550 - £600 GTX 780 - Who cares weather 690 is dual GPU - that's just old BS , it's one card that fits in 1 pci lane and it has 4gb ram available
So you can buy a GTX780 for for around £100 less than the best most powerful graphic card Nvidia make.

If you have an Aurora R4 with only 2 pci lanes(which is what this thread was originally about before it got hijacked by the GTX 780)the GTX 690 or Titan is the best option , But if I was to build a new pc with a motherboard that has 4 pci lanes , I would go with 3 way GTX 780's - and yes you would need 3 way Sli gtx 780 to run Ultra graphics on surround vision @ 1080p - you could run 3 screens on 1 gtx780 card but it would be on lowest possible graphic settings@ 1080p and I doubt crisis 3 would even run at all on 3 screens on 1 gtx 780 it would be unplayable.

just though i'd throw that around

Go read up on your info, the 690 is a dual card, it's 2gb per gpu, so it's only 2gb usable memory, like me having 2x 4gb 670s, I have 4gb usable memory. The 690 is the same as having dual physical gpus in sli, you'll having scaling issues just like any other sli setup on specific games. Running two 690 in 2 pcie lanes is like running quad sli. This thread wasn't hijacked, op wanted info on gpu setup and I'm giving him a better and cheaper option. Recommending a overpriced card that's lacking in a specific area isn't smart, recent games and setups just require more vram nowadays. Thanks for quoting me too I didn't know what I said before, now I do.

tappin from a N E X U S

Last edited:

sway

Why do you need 3 way sli 780s to run surround? My two 4gb 670s can run a surround setup@1440p like I already said, bc I know someone doing it. You don't need essentially 3 titans (780s) to run surround @1080p. One would run it fairly well, two would make it butter smooth guaranteed. Why recommend a titan when the 780 is oc to be a titan, it's just not smart, apparently you have money to waste, but not all of us roll around in cash.

tappin from a N E X U S

stupreme

Why do you need 3 way sli 780s to run surround? My two 4gb 670s can run a surround setup@1440p like I already said, bc I know someone doing it. You don't need essentially 3 titans (780s) to run surround @1080p. One would run it fairly well, two would make it butter smooth guaranteed. Why recommend a titan when the 780 is oc to be a titan, it's just not smart, apparently you have money to waste, but not all of us roll around in cash.

tappin from a N E X U S

Jesus help me - obviously you gunning for a argument - I never said you CANT run 3 screens on 1 GTX 780 - I SAID IT WOULD BE SHIT AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY ON LOW GRAPHIC SETTINGS@1080p AND YOU PROBABLY COULD NOT PLAY CRYSIS 3 AT ALL ON 3 SCREENS WITH 1 GTX 780 , please get that into your head.
Secondly the BS your coming out with about the 690 - ooh its 2 gb ram is boring , The GTX 690 has 2 gpu's with an internal Sli which equals 4GB Vram available - you just keep on knocking the GTX 690 every chance you get -
Thirdly this thread was about whats best for the Aurora R4 - Not whats the best graphic card for the money,
AS I SAID BEFORE THE AURORA ONLY HAS 2 PCI LANES - 1 GTX 690 is only £100 MORE THAN 1 GTX 780 , THE GTX 690 WILL SHIT ALL OVER THE 780.
And as for your Sli losing quality in games - that's just another load of BS - Games run beautiful in Sli.
And as for your comment "I've got money to throw around" is just a desperate attempt to kid yourself that the GTX 780 is the best thing since the wheel was invented.
The thread was all about the Aurora R4 and the best choice for it . The GTX 780 is not the best choice for the Aurora at all , The GTX 780 is the best choice for a custom build and guess what - you have to Sli 3 GTX 780's to play on 3 screens at ULTRA GRAPHIC settings.
And 1 more thing - you saying you can max out any game on 3 screens with your Sli GTX 670's is complete BS.

sway

Ok let's get this right, I haven't bashed the 690 at all, I said there was a better choice period. You need to re-read my other posts, then go do some research, bc you obviously don't know a lot about what your talking about.

On another note, you have 2gb usable memory on one 690, just bc I have two 4gb 670 doesn't give me 8gb of memory. Go look at reviews, research, and see what other people are running, then come back here and argue. To say you need 3 780s which are pretty much titans to run 3 1080p screens is ridiculous.

tappin from a N E X U S

stupreme

Ok let's get this right, I haven't bashed the 690 at all, I said there was a better choice period. You need to re-read my other posts, then go do some research, bc you obviously don't know a lot about what your talking about.

I can say the same about you

On another note, you have 2gb usable memory on one 690, just bc I have two 4gb 670 doesn't give me 8gb of memory. Go look at reviews, research, and see what other people are running, then come back here and argue. To say you need 3 780s which are pretty much titans to run 3 1080p screens is ridiculous.

tappin from a N E X U S

Yes you did bash the 690 (HERE - A 690 shouldn't even be in this discussion imo, yes it's powerful I won't argue that one bit, but with the 2gb of vram it's just old news and a waste for 1k) Its not 1k in the uk - the 690 cost ONLY £100 more than 780.
And you keep saying(To say you need 3 780s which are pretty much titans to run 3 1080p screens is ridiculous) and this is what I said actually
" I never said you CANT run 3 screens on 1 GTX 780 - I SAID IT WOULD BE SHIT AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY ON LOW GRAPHIC SETTINGS@1080p"
Why don't you read what was said properly before you post ?

And the whole point here is what's better for an AURORA R4 - not a custom build
The best cards for an Aurora are the 690 or a Titan BECAUSE THE AURORA ONLY HAS 2 PCI LANES
DO THE MATH

The gtx 780 would be the best and cheapest way to get the max performance from a custom build that has 4 PCI lanes
try to understand this -

sway

Yes you did bash the 690 (HERE - A 690 shouldn't even be in this discussion imo, yes it's powerful I won't argue that one bit, but with the 2gb of vram it's just old news and a waste for 1k) Its not 1k in the uk - the 690 cost ONLY £100 more than 780.
And you keep saying(To say you need 3 780s which are pretty much titans to run 3 1080p screens is ridiculous) and this is what I said actually
" I never said you CANT run 3 screens on 1 GTX 780 - I SAID IT WOULD BE SHIT AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY ON LOW GRAPHIC SETTINGS@1080p"
Why don't you read what was said properly before you post ?

And the whole point here is what's better for an AURORA R4 - not a custom build
The best cards for an Aurora are the 690 or a Titan BECAUSE THE AURORA ONLY HAS 2 PCI LANES
DO THE MATH

The gtx 780 would be the best and cheapest way to get the max performance from a custom build that has 4 PCI lanes
try to understand this -

Now your trolling, cmon go do some research, it's embarrassing.

tappin from a N E X U S

stupreme

Ha-Trolling ,That's like playing a race card.
You just don't like being wrong
Aurora has 2 pci lanes - 690 only cost's £100 more than 780 - 690 puts 780 to shame ,so best card for Aurora ?
Instead of insults and name calling , just take off the blinkers you seem to have on

sway

Ha-Trolling ,That's like playing a race card.
You just don't like being wrong
Aurora has 2 pci lanes - 690 only cost's £100 more than 780 - 690 puts 780 to shame ,so best card for Aurora ?
Instead of insults and name calling , just take off the blinkers you seem to have on

Who's name calling? I'm not wrong, and your giving miss information.

tappin from a N E X U S

sunhillow

Yikes! I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to start any crud here. I probably shouldn't have put anything up about the 780. I am going to be ordering the Aurora in a month anyways so I doubt that will even be an option.

So for me it's just a choice between the 690 or two 680s. My main concern is heat. I know the 690 will produce less heat, but does the fact that it discharges some hot air into the case negate that benefit?

I only have one monitor anyways. 120hz 1920x1080 Asus. even with 3D I imagine either choice will be overkill for a bit. I just want the choice that will keep my chassis the coolest. :)

sway

Yikes! I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to start any crud here. I probably shouldn't have put anything up about the 780. I am going to be ordering the Aurora in a month anyways so I doubt that will even be an option.

So for me it's just a choice between the 690 or two 680s. My main concern is heat. I know the 690 will produce less heat, but does the fact that it discharges some hot air into the case negate that benefit?

I only have one monitor anyways. 120hz 1920x1080 Asus. even with 3D I imagine either choice will be overkill for a bit. I just want the choice that will keep my chassis the coolest. :)

Nah you didn't start anything, a healthy debate is all it is. Just don't like the wrong info given out. Like I said before if you get more vram with the 680s I'd go for that, just for the fact that once 2gb is maxed out, which some games already do now, you'll be safe. I don't know what they offer on the Dell site, but if the vram is the same on both options then just go 690.

tappin from a N E X U S