test

680m sli + full liquid cooling in a x51

ejohnson

Been putting alot of thought into this, and I have figured out a way to do sli MXM gpus and water cool them along with the cpu.... but, here is the thing, do you guys think that a 680m sli setup would be any more powerfull than a gtx670 ftw?

I would love to say I have the only sli 680 fully water cooled x51 in the world, but I just dont know if the 680m sli is going to be anything more than bragging rights.

Maelstrom

680m is a Laptop graphics card. Assuming that you mean GTX 680 sli, have two 680s will beat the one 670 in pretty much all circumstances. And it will future proof your machine for a few more years so that you don't have to do any more upgrades as far as graphic cards are concerned.

ejohnson

Nope, looking at the laptop cards. I can put 2 MXM cards (laptop cards) into a single pci adapter that will turn the pair of 680ms into a single desktop card.
The x51 only has the single pci slot, so this is the only possible way to run a sli setup in the x51.

This
front_uninstalled.jpg

front_installed.jpg

+ HP firebird cooling system (dual mxm water blocks)

= SLI liquid cooled x51 :)

Maelstrom

Nope, looking at the laptop cards. I can put 2 MXM cards (laptop cards) into a single pci adapter that will turn the pair of 680ms into a single desktop card.
The x51 only has the single pci slot, so this is the only possible way to run a sli setup in the x51.

This
front_uninstalled.jpg

front_installed.jpg

+ HP firebird cooling system (dual mxm water blocks)

= SLI liquid cooled x51 :)

Huh, well I don't know then. I'm not sure which is better a 680m sli or a GTX 670 FTW. Laptop and desktop cards aren't usually compared. I would do a little more research into the benchmarking and performance of both cards before I made a decision.

ejohnson

Most of what I have found is that the 670 is a better card on paper, but the 680m sli gives you higher fps in most games... Its all so confusing... dump a metric ton of money into the sli setup, or just dump half a ton on a nice 670ftw...

Alternatly, I wonder if my money is better spend making a liquid cooled m17x. I know how and can easy get all the parts needed for it.

Maelstrom

Most of what I have found is that the 670 is a better card on paper, but the 680m sli gives you higher fps in most games... Its all so confusing... dump a metric ton of money into the sli setup, or just dump half a ton on a nice 670ftw...

Alternatly, I wonder if my money is better spend making a liquid cooled m17x. I know how and can easy get all the parts needed for it.

If you liquid cool a M17x then how mobile will it be afterwards? I never considered LCing a laptop because it just become a desktop to me later. And laptops cost more than desktops :S

Just from what I know, the 680m sli will only work better on games that support sli. Otherwise the 670 will be better. I would go with the 670 and save some money. You could always upgrade to a 780 which I'm sure is better than a 680m sli.

ejohnson

Yeah, maybe this is just a pipe dream. I will look at just going with the 670ftw... im limited to 330watts from the stock psu, so the 670 is the max I can run with that psu.

Maelstrom

Yeah, maybe this is just a pipe dream. I will look at just going with the 670ftw... im limited to 330watts from the stock psu, so the 670 is the max I can run with that psu.

You can upgrade the PSU at some point as well I think.

ejohnson

Cant upgrade the psu on the x51, it uses the laptop psu, same one that is used in the m18x.

I can get creative and mod a sff psu to fit inside the x51 chassis, but I may loose a few things in the process.

Or, using MR. Fox's guide I can make a dual 330 watt psu mod. It combines 2 psus together to output to a single lead into the computer.

MattyB

I just love that you're thinking of these things. How about going for 2 x 780M's instead of 680MPs?? :D I would love to see a water cooled M17x though.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

mike2o6

I personally think its a waste of cash the 680m are quite expensive not to mention laptop graphics even in sli i doubt would be better then a gtx 760 which would cost you 250-300 also how do you plan on cooling the 680m?

sway

Just put a full size psu outside of the x51 and put a 780 in there... Done!!! Way more powerful than those mobile GPUs.

tappin from the Nexus 4

hearthofsin

Been putting alot of thought into this, and I have figured out a way to do sli MXM gpus and water cool them along with the cpu.... but, here is the thing, do you guys think that a 680m sli setup would be any more powerfull than a gtx670 ftw?

I would love to say I have the only sli 680 fully water cooled x51 in the world, but I just dont know if the 680m sli is going to be anything more than bragging rights.

look for ''alienware m18x 680 sli performance'' on youtube?

ejohnson

Im not sure, I have seen plenty of pictures of it, but havent been able to find a active listing for it.

But I figure sli 680m should be about on par with sli gtx 670 desktop cards.

sunster168

Cant upgrade the psu on the x51, it uses the laptop psu, same one that is used in the m18x.

I can get creative and mod a sff psu to fit inside the x51 chassis, but I may loose a few things in the process.

Or, using MR. Fox's guide I can make a dual 330 watt psu mod. It combines 2 psus together to output to a single lead into the computer.

Has anyone tried this dual 330watt Power bricks on an X51 R1 or R2? Am curious to know if this mod will work with the X51s.

Alienwulf

Compared to the desktop GeForce GTX 670, the GTX 680M also features 1344 CUDA cores, but the mobile counterpart operates at reduced core and memory clock speeds (720/1800MHz vs 915-980/3004MHz)
I would say it has bragging rights for sure. Would be fun just to have the Worlds only one for sure. If you got the money why not. Nice find by the way interesting card.:cool:

STDVirus

the 680mx beats the 780m, but the 780m beats the 680m there is two different cards. If you can get the 680mx to work on a adapter board i would try it to just for shits and giggles ;)

where can you get those adapter boards?

MattyB

the 680mx beats the 780m, but the 780m beats the 680m there is two different cards. If you can get the 680mx to work on a adapter board i would try it to just for shits and giggles ;)

where can you get those adapter boards?

From what I've read, the 780M is an overclocked 680MX with more vram so it should be superior. GPUboss also has it beating the 680MX in almost every way.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-680MX