6990m on Battery

PhoenixBennu

So I am rather disappointed with the performance of the 580m on battery, as it cuts things down to the performance levels lower than my old HP.

So I was wondering, since I do not have a 6990m to test with, does anyone know what the performance is on the 6990m on battery. Are games like BF3 still playable, and if so, how many fps do you get?

calric

dont play bf3 yet with mine. been playing starwars and i run it on high. fps is never an issue even on battery until the battery gets low. There is really no difference until the battery gets under 20% or so. I havn't tried from 100% full battery yet; i've tried from about 70 - 80% and at that percentage it would last just about an hour to an hour and a half or so. once the battery gets low i can tell; the fps drops about half (still playable for about 15-20 minutes or so; then after that it drops more and gets unplayable - which is like at 7% battery life)

i run balanced on windows battery management.

PhoenixBennu

Do you have any other graphic intensive games. like skyrim or what not that you have tested on battery. I have seen some info that the clocks are about 3x as much on the 6990m on battery then the 580m on battery. Just curious how this fully translates into real world usage.

calric

unfortunately not really, no skyrim yet; but its on my plan. i am installing ghost recon online beta right now, maybe that will be a little more useful.

hmm, i have tribes ascend installed, maybe ill give that a shot as well.
I have some of the free steam games installed, do you think that perhaps one of those would work also?

xxdranenxxx

I have Skyrim and BF3 and I can play all on max settings and be at the lowest according to Fraps at 50fps

PhoenixBennu

but this cant be on battery power only. As far as I know, noone gets that on battery power.

Yeti

I'd not try running intense games on battery. Briefly put the 6990 won't require any less power than the 580M. A laptop battery simply can't provide enough power to run powerful components at full clock speeds

xxdranenxxx

My bad I missed the on battery part. How? you ask I have no idea it's right in the title damn lazy eye

I will test it right now...... Gonna be a bit I haven't played either in a while and my download speed at work is 160kb/s so the 5600mb update with take forever and well BF3 I imagine will be worse cause I haven't played that game in forever

Last edited: