750 Ti (Zotac) in Alienware X51 R1

sjbezanson

Hey All,

I received my card and installed it today in about 15 minutes. I want to stress that the size is very small. Small enough that if you wanted to add an SSD to your system (which is my next mod) you can actually mount it via velcro straps or zip ties to the same bracket as your GPU instead of the old tape to the optical drive method.

Before you start shopping for huge cards, I wouldn't overlook this one as a solid upgrade option.

Step by Step with Pictures (I apologize for the blurry pics, iPhone 4 Camera is all I had at the time):

1. As always disconnect your LED lights when removing side panel:

2. Top left and bottom right screws need to come out and then the bracket just lifts out of the PCIe slot with the card attached:

3. Shot of the GTX 555 in bracket beside the case, notice how much of the bracket it takes up:

4. Shot of the Zotac 750 Ti card installed on the bracket. Notice my hands aren't that small so my thumb gives a good representation of how much room if left on that bracket for both air flow, and SSD mounting capabilities.

5. Shot of my hand against the reinstalled bracket with the new card. Notice where the card ends versus the end of the case. Again, my hands aren't that small. Plenty of room for an SSD to mount.

In building with a Mini ITX form factor, the smaller and more powerful, the better. The more space I can get the happier I am, especially when my next mod is a new HD (since my Seagate 1 TB is failing tests) with a 120/240 GB SSD attached to that bracket with some velcro ties. Once I complete that I will post some pictures and instructions.

Happy modding everyone!

Animal

Man, that 750ti is tiny! Wonder how the performance will be compared to a GTX660. Let us know how it runs.

Carson2006

Yeah that thing is really small, but looks awesome!
(That's what she s.... nevermind...)

I'm interested in seeing the comparison too. The only real question that comes to mind is how are your temps gonna be since that card blows hot air directly into the case rather than out the back of the system like the previous card.

sjbezanson

Yeah that thing is really small, but looks awesome!
(That's what she s.... nevermind...)

I'm interested in seeing the comparison too. The only real question that comes to mind is how are your temps gonna be since that card blows hot air directly into the case rather than out the back of the system like the previous card.

This card is a powerhouse... Running Skyrim with the HD pack on ultra high at 110 FPS no lag stutter or tearing ... It blows air the same way as the previous card and still has a rear vent, the fan blows air away from the GPU but it's carried out by the small case fan mounted at the edge of the bracket. At idle the card runs at 37 C , never goes above 69 C as per Firestorm on regular clocking profile, even after a solid hour of gaming as a test point.

When I stack in an SSD I'll post more pictures.

Carson2006

Wow, sounds like an absolute monster! I'm seriously considering this card for an upgrade as of that post.

Glad to hear temps are not an issue.
Out of curiosity, is that fan pulling cool air onto the gpu heatsink, or pushing hot air off of it?

My first assumption was that it was blowing up, off and away from the heatsink.

Also, this machine is running off one of the stock psu's right?

I just want to make sure I understand before I get too excited. :-D

sjbezanson

I'm running this card off of the stock 330W PSU.

The card blows air from the case down into the GPU, and there is a small case fan near it that carries this air out almost right away. I've noticed no spike in temps or anything strange since installing this card. It's a great card upgrade solution that is basically plug and play.

BinaryHatred

Wow this is amazing.. I'm rather new to modding sortof. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for this man. Good to know that the card is doing so well on one of the games I play quite frequently as well.

sjbezanson

Just an update: I did put an SSD into my X51 as well however I had to follow the placement that's already shown in a previous thread. The shape of the PCIe bracket didn't allow me to be able to strap my SSD to the bottom of it because the cable connectors for the 4 pin molex to SATA power connector, and the motherboard SATA connectors both got in the way of the bracket being able to be plugged in and screwed down.

I had to put my SSD on the top of the optical drive bracket with some foam two sided tape.

Even taped there it runs between 29C and 41C, never hotter.

The GPU I've left at default clock it runs at 40C normally, in the few weeks now it's been installed the hottest it's been recorded is at 79C after running Titanfall for a good 3 hour play session.

BinaryHatred

The GPU I've left at default clock it runs at 40C normally, in the few weeks now it's been installed the hottest it's been recorded is at 79C after running Titanfall for a good 3 hour play session.

Grats on the SSD man! By the way, are these the stats when running a single or dual monitors off the 750 ti? I run two monitors off my 555 and I don't ever really seem to have that much of an issue. If you do run a dual monitor set up, How are things with the 750 ti? If not, would you recommend or be against it?

sjbezanson

I only run 1 monitor, its an ASUS VG248QE 144 Hz 1 ms Response monitor. I have no issues. I can't see it causing any issues as long as you have the proper connectors for your monitors on the back of the 750 Ti your experience can only get better moving to it from a 555. The nvidia spec sheet on the website says it supports up to 4 monitors, with One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, and One mini-HDMI connectors available. As long as your monitors connect into these available display ports you're good to go.

Here is the spec sheet for more info: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

BinaryHatred

Dang that's pretty sick @_@ Alright thanks a lot for the info man. I'm definitely going to invest in one haha. This 555 has been good to me but it's time to upgradeeeee.

jayhernandez7

This was a great mod and nice upgrade, especially with those frames! What size monitor were you using and at what resolution?

sherman91587

Was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. First time modding and trying to put the zotac 750 in and having problems.
Does the hdmi have to be hooked through the card?
Since I don't see anywhere to put the connectors that are inside the x51 then I don't need to use them?

I have tried starting up on the regular hdmi and just get a beeping noise. Sorry if this question are dumb this is the first time I have ever opened a pc up. Appreciate any help you guys can give.

jayhernandez7

@sherman91587 If you're installing a dedicated graphics card, yes, plug in the HDMI cable into the graphics card. If you're getting a bleeping noise on the standard HDMI port, try the other connectors on the graphics card and go from there.

sjbezanson

The 750 / 750Ti cards have a One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, and One mini-HDMI connectors. If you're using a regular HDMI cable, you'll need a Mini-HDMI adapter. I would recommend picking up a cable thats regular HDMI on one end, and mini-HDMI on the other as most straight adapters will take away some quality. Personally I use a separate sound system from my monitor speakers so I use the DVI port. If you're attempting to plug the HDMI into a port that isn't on the GPU, then you might be attempting to use the motherboard/CPU integrated graphics, which depending on your CPU, you may not have included.

Here is an example of the cable you will need if you are dead-set on using HDMI: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270180

As for the monitor question above:

Currently I'm using the ASUS VG248QE monitor. It's a 24' Gaming monitor with 144 Hz Refresh Rate and 1 ms Response time as mentioned above. I'll put a quick blurb here for people who may not know exactly what that means, or why this is a good gaming monitor: Frame Rates are based on monitor refresh, if you have a 60 Hz monitor, the most frames most games will give you unless they're double/triple buffered which is not standard, is 60 FPS. As my refresh rate is 144 Hz even on a single V-Sync with no tearing my upper limit is 144 FPS. This is why people who turn V-Sync off normally get tearing (along with higher than 60 FPS), it makes your FPS independent of your monitor refresh, making it update the monitor pixel arrangement whenever the GPU is ready to process it, causing conflicts in output and therefore tearing.

The response time of the monitor is how quickly an action from an input is displayed on your monitor. 1 ms is excellent for first person shooters or online gaming since it's basically immediate. Here is a link to the product on Newegg.ca (since I'm Canadian).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

The FPS I'm getting is at 1920x1080 resolution, on high/ultra settings. I haven't had to run a game below that yet. Even Titanfall runs amazingly well on full settings. Even though Titanfall for some reason is capped at 60 FPS for all users, I still get a solid 60 FPS with no drop at all times.

Last edited:

sherman91587

Ok cool thanks for the help. I bought a mini hdmi to hdmi off Amazon. I will let you know if this gets my pc going as soon as I get it. Should be soon since I am a prime member.

sjbezanson

Excellent news. Please make sure to post a follow up and let us know if this solves your problem or if you need more help.

sherman91587

Okay here is the update. Got the mini hdmi in and no more beeping, but I can't get anything to come up on the monitor. Any ideas?