750 Ti (Zotac) in Alienware X51 R1

sjbezanson

Feb 26, 2014
Canada
I would remove the GPU and reinstall it. Make sure that everything seats down into the board properly, and that the card is seated properly on the bracket. Also, ensure that the PCIe power cable that is no longer required is either removed, or not blocking any of the fans near it in the case.

If all of this is done, and it still doesn't work, you might have a DOA card. What manufacturer card is it?

Old card works great. If I have the new card in and try to use the inboard HDMI port I get the five quick beep code, but if I take the card out it boots with the onboard.

I don't think that I'm getting the 3 beep motherboard code. That would be 3 quick beeps, plus I'm seeing the bios logo and it works without this new card.

This is the R1, by the way.

sjbezanson

Feb 26, 2014
Canada
When you install a GPU most disable on-board graphics in favor of GPU graphics. If you use the DVI or other ports on the card itself instead of the onboard HDMI does it boot normally? You should be using the ports on your GPU anyway.

I only used the onboard HDMI as a test. I had the GTX 555 originally and was using the HDMI port on that. I replaced the 555 with the 750. This is when I started getting stuck on the bios logo screen. After dealing with this, then I tried the onboard HDMI port as a test.

Sorry if I was unclear earlier. I will restate my entire problem from the get-go.

Alienware X51 R1 with the 330W power supply.

I removed the stock GTX 555 video card and slid in a shiny new EVGA 750 ti SC. When I boot up, I hang on the BIOS logo screen. I hear the quick 'chirp' beep that indicates successful POST. Then at about 10-15 second intervals, it gives a normal beep. After the third beep, the screen goes dark. If I press F2 to go into the BIOS menu on this screen, nothing happens.

(Online research shows that 3 beeps is code for motherboard failure. I really don't think this is a 3-beep beepcode, as normally beepcodes are in quick succession. These are spaced apart by about 10-15 seconds.)

When I slide the original card back in, or take out all video cards and use the onboard video adapter, I will receive a Windows boot manager prompt. It says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause". I have the options to run a repair or start Windows normally. The repair finds nothing.

I've researched this issue a bit online and a lot of people are suggesting the CMOS battery, but I really don't think that's valid here, mainly because I have no issues at all with the original graphics card or the onboard graphics.

My video drivers are up to date, and since I'm going from a GeForce card to another GeForce card, it really shouldn't be a driver incompatibility.

I've unplugged all non-essential USB devices to no effect.

I've moved my HDD to the top of the boot order (only because I saw one guy online who had this problem do that, and he didn't understand why it worked).

I haven't tried booting into Safe Mode. It occurs to me now that this is an obvious step but I think I assumed that I couldn't get that far.

Last edited:

sjbezanson

Feb 26, 2014
Canada
I still keep coming back to the fact that if you put the 555 back in, it works no problem. If the only thing you change is the card, then something with the new card must be defective. Simple troubleshooting brings me to that conclusion. I had no driver issues swapping so chances are it's not a software issue, so the only thing left really is hardware.

SamVincent96

Jul 11, 2014
England
Hi,

I bought the Zotac 750 ti from here and it arrived this morning. I took out my 555 and put in the new graphics card.

However, I'm having some issues getting it to work and was wondering if anyone can give me a hand. I power the machine up and the BIOS screen appears. After about 20-30 seconds I get one beep, then another one about 15 seconds after that. The BIOS screen stays up for about another 30 seconds before a final beep and the screen goes black. Any idea what's going on?

I've tried pressing F2 or F12 during the BIOS but nothing happens :(

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

UPDATE: Never mind, solved the issue! For anyone else who may experience this problem then I would advise you update your BIOS to A14, that's what was causing my issue.