test

8 Beeps Alienware 17

SR20Alien

As the title says. zzzZzzzZZZzzzzz very frustrated and Dissapointed.
I need help as the Dell After sales team is still not responding to my email.
I also tried online chat support and when i entered my service # it says something like this
"sorry your model is not yet supported/available for online chat support

I am outside US by the way.

The 1st time it happened. When i tried to switch on the laptop the monitor did not respond and I got this 8 beeps.
Good thing DDub420 posted a Alienware 17 User Manual.
I unscrew the back lid of the laptop and remove the battery, and clean "3" and "4" RAM. Re-inserted it and it did does the job.

From then on Im using my Alienware 17 w/out the built in battery just to observe it.
after 2 days everything seems to be fine. But when i go to a friends house for some overnight gaming after i put the built in battery it gives me the 8 Beep again.

And for the 2nd time I did clean the RAM "3"and "4" but this time I still got 8 beeps.

I am really Dissappointed and Frustrated. This is my 1st Alienware.
I just want to enjoy it. Is it really this fragile? I mean what the F man. Im really taking Good care of it.Its only 2 months old
zzzZzZZzzzzz

Please if anyone know how to fix this.Please please do Help me.

MattyB

Usually an 8 beep code is an LCD issue. Do you have the 3D screen option or Windows 8? If so it may also be a GPU problem since the LCD is only run from the GPU (unless you manually switch it to Intel graphics)

Have you done any GPU driver updates recently?

There is something you can try. It helped me get rid of my 8 beep code on my M18x R2 after reinstalling the NVidia driver recently. Open your machine up and try to find the small disk shaped CMOS battery. I haven't seen inside the new 17 so I can't tell you exactly what it looks like or where it is. It should be connected to the motherboard with a 2 pin connector. Disconnect the battery, wait about 30 secs and then use a wire or pin and bridge the pins on the connector. This will reset your CMOS. This may not do anything but it worked for me.

Keep trying Dell though. Good luck!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Just had a look at the 17 manual (page 87) and it looks like the battery is actually on the mobo which may be a little annoying to get to.

SR20Alien

Hi MattyB

Thanks for the quick response. I only have the entry level Alienware 17 with GTX765M and I chose windows 7 Home Premium for the OS.
I did upgrade the LCD to a full HD and 16GB ram.

I also did an update for the GPU Driver but if I remember it right. Its been a week or two until this problem occurs.

What I recently tried is. Connect my Alienware 17 to an external monitor and still even on the external monitor I got nothing but 8 beeps from hell.:(

As for the CMOS I'm not sure if I can do that on my own. I got a Tech friend and Im gonna ask him to do that for me.

I got some pictures taken BTW.

Attachments

• 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 148.jpg
    148.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 9

MattyB

Give my suggestion a try with your friend then if you feel up to it. Check the LCD cables to see if they are fully plugged in and that they're not damaged. Probably not the LCD though if an external monitor didn't work. Maybe unplug the LCD and then connect a monitor.

SR20Alien

Give my suggestion a try with your friend then if you feel up to it. Check the LCD cables to see if they are fully plugged in and that they're not damaged. Probably not the LCD though if an external monitor didn't work. Maybe unplug the LCD and then connect a monitor.

Hi MattyB, 1st of all I really appreciate your help.
So Thank you for helping me.

Anyway. Already tried that one. unplug the LCD and then connect to a monitor and still I got them 8 Beeps.
I'm going to try your suggestion as my friend will come and help me later.

Assuming that I still get 8 beeps. What do you think I should do?
Still got no F@#$#@% reply from dell. zZzZZzzZzZZZzzzz

Last edited:

MattyB

No problem at all. If it's still happening then I'm pretty sure you'll have a mobo issue. Unfortunately these things happen but Dell should be there to help you and it's disappointing that they're not.

kepano24

Matty is incorrect...i had this on mine out of nowrere...its the lithium cmos battery.....i followed instructions on dells site....removed regular battery, , remove cover, remove cmos lithium battery, hold power button for 60 seconds , replace cmos batt, cover and regular battery....what happened at the time of the error beeps...i was messing with rainmeter going thru different animated stuff...it messed up my video changeover, from what dell site said...it wasnt the led display as the code indicates as hardware, it was some kind of changeover in bios when the rainmeter was running...I suggest you try this method first.....no issues since change battery and clearing out cmos settings

MattyB

I did suggest it was the CMOS in my first post since I had a similar issue with my M18x R2 and clearing the CMOS fixed it. I didn't have to replace the battery though. Just a CMOS reset sorted me out.