A few Alienware 17 questions...

Coolbanana

May 31, 2014
UK
Hi Everyone!

So, I currently have an Apple MacBook Pro (early 2013 with Retina) which is a lovely machine but I am due to add another business laptop to my small family business and I'm considering my options.

I have a work desktop - a pretty standard HP that is adequate for what it needs to do.

The Apple MacBook is sufficient too but I would like it to have a little more performance since it does struggle slightly with my larger Excel spreadsheets.

Last year, when I purchased the Apple, I had ordered an Alienware 17 but it couldn't be delivered on time for me to attend an overseas meeting and I was desperate for a Notebook and couldn't wait - so went Apple off the shelf. I don't need the lightness nor battery life really, since the laptop is on mains most of the time and transporting it is by car or plane and 4kg is hardly an issue for me in-between.

Now I have time, I am considering the Alienware 17 again but I have a few questions:

1. Is the current model 17 due for a major update within the next few months?
2. I love the Apple Retina display. Will the 3D screen Alienware option come close?
3. I would spec a 'full-house' model but the choices seem odd here in the UK in that I can get the 3D screen and GTX 880 but not 32GB Ram, only 16GB. Is that right? Or do I simply call Dell?
4. I haven't used a laptop for gaming in many years - used to have an Alienware back then - so how does the current machine stack up against PS4 graphics and playability?
5. Has anyone here compared the latest MacBook Pro 15 with the Alienware 17 and how do they stack up?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Last edited:

Coolbanana

May 31, 2014
UK
Well, in the end I went with:

Alienware 17 Base
4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1GHz) 17.3 inch (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife w/3D Bundle
Setup Instructions English
English Shipping Docs
Alienware 17 Anodized Aluminum - 3D
32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz (4x8GB)
256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s- NV
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (9.5mm)
BluRay Cyberlink Software for Windows 8 without media
240W AC Adapter
8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr) Battery
UK 250V Power Cord
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 880M graphics with 8GB total GDDR5
802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi +Bluetooth 4.0

Nathan

Jun 7, 2014
England
hey coolbanana - I really think you made the right choice - very few business's use mac operating systems (sector dependant) - you are safe with windows regarding universal compatability - and with AW you can at least upgrade componenets in the future - i went with a similar configuration - primarily for gaming - and it flies!

I hope you love it as much as i do :)

(ps- what operating system did you choose? i went with windows 7 ultimate)

Coolbanana

May 31, 2014
UK
hey coolbanana - I really think you made the right choice - very few business's use mac operating systems (sector dependant) - you are safe with windows regarding universal compatability - and with AW you can at least upgrade componenets in the future - i went with a similar configuration - primarily for gaming - and it flies!

I hope you love it as much as i do :)

(ps- what operating system did you choose? i went with windows 7 ultimate)

Cheers!

It arrived two days ago and I've had a brief play with it - no games yet though but will install some today.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro and Office Pro Plus 2013.

So far, so good - a very well built machine and the speed is impressive.

Nathan

Jun 7, 2014
England
That's great news! indeed the build quality is high. One aspect i hadn't really put thought to & was pleasantly surprised at was the the awesome speakers. The volume & clarity of sound has made me reluctant to use a headset when gaming. Who needs a seperate sound system for music when you got AW! - just for completion sake i christened my speakers with Metallica enter sandman and shook the house apart! let me know if you were equally suprised :)