A51 R2 trying to upgrade the MB

zzzyx123

Hello y’all, I’m recently trying to upgrade my R2 original MB to a new one that can use I9- 9900K. Is this possible? If so, can anyone recommend me some possible choices? Thanks!!

Cass-Olé

(*post has edit at bottom) whether the R2 mthrbrd can be traded out for a newer & often better aftrmrkt mthrbrd has been asked & answered before in this forum, if u browse old posts

The answer's yes, with some caveats. The AlienFX FIO board that controls your LED lights, if you swap in a new mthrbrd, three possible results 1) Full compatibility: all case lights still work 2) Partial: the front panel lights up but the side panel lights do not 3) none: no case lights turn on ... no one has an explanation for why case lights will or won't work, no one knows how to 'fix it' (restore LEDs that won't turn on) & no one's made a list of which mthrbrds allow full or partial working case lights

Asus, Gigabyte & MSI seem to have the best Z390 boards, with AsRock also in contention. I don't make hardware recommendations, but feel free to wait for other member input

R2 case supports full ATX & E-ATX form factor boards (if you move the black cable snap loks)

Chances are the USB & Front panel cables are too short, you'll need longer ones, 20"-24" (search internal USB cable & internal front panel cable)(if u mod it, a usb cable can substitute for a front panel cable if needed)

To install CmndCntr software, see this post (page 1 2 3) https://www.alienowners.com/threads...-center-for-a-non-alienware-motherboard.7119/ & uTube

See Dellware forum & Area-51 R2, upgrades, Z390 9900K & uTube
Try google search (plus an image search / find links to posts)

*edit: Asus Z370 seen on Chiphell.com Motherboard Replace A51 w/ ASUS Z370
111605hcdzgc8s44g191yc.jpg

Last edited:

zzzyx123

whether the R2 mthrbrd can be traded out for a newer & often better aftrmrkt mthrbrd has been asked & answered before in this forum, if u browse old posts

The answer's yes, with some caveats. The AlienFX FIO board that controls your LED lights, if you swap in a new mthrbrd, three possible results 1) Full compatibility: all case lights still work 2) Partial: the front panel lights up but the side panel lights do not 3) none: no case lights turn on ... no one has an explanation for why case lights will or won't work, no one knows how to 'fix it' (restore LEDs that won't turn on) & no one's made a list of which mthrbrds allow full or partial working case lights

Asus, Gigabyte & MSI seem to have the best Z390 boards, with AsRock also in contention. I don't make hardware recommendations, but feel free to wait for other member input

R2 case supports full ATX & E-ATX form factor boards (if you move the black cable snap loks)

Chances are the USB & Front panel cables are too short, you'll need longer ones, 20"-24" (search internal USB cable & internal front panel cable)(if u mod it, a usb cable can substitute for a front panel cable if needed)

To install CmndCntr software, see this post (page 1 2 3) https://www.alienowners.com/threads...-center-for-a-non-alienware-motherboard.7119/ & uTube

See Dellware forum & Area-51 R2, upgrades, Z390 9900K & uTube
Try google search (plus an image search / find links to posts)
Perfect, thank you so much for this!!!