Abnormal Fan Behavior

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
Hello Everyone,
I have an M17xR4 thats going on 2 or 3 yrs old now, today all of a sudden, when I returned back to my office the laptop fans were running at full speed. It was running screensaver mode, so after I logged in i checked my temp using coretemp, all cores were normal, averaging around 110-117 degrees Fahrenheit. Nothing was running in the background that would cause that issue, I rebooted and all was fine, shortly after the reboot the fans kicked on high again. I rebooted once again and went into the bios, nothing odd there, well oddly there is nothing in the bios regarding the fan(s). Exited the bios and back to the desktop, once again after about a minute or two the fans kicked in on high. I havent had time to check anything out as far as malware or anything like that, I have a few things that I need to care of before i can get into that. So I thought I would put a quick post on here to see if anyone else has experienced this. I should add that the bios is on A11...the rest of the specs are in my signature at the bottom. Hopefully I get a quick reply.
One more thing to add - my boss had this issue shortly before I did, he has the same rig configured the same way. These were purchased at the same time along with one more. Have yet to talk to that person to see if the same thing is going on with theirs. I will update the post as soon as I can start checking into the issue more.
Thanks everyone in advance.

Tom

*UPDATE* Malware scans found nothing but tracking cookies.

*UPDATE#2* I ran windows updates and updated the BIOS from A11 to A13, At first no change, but I went to a meeting which lasted about an hour to an hour and a half, I had the laptop shut off during that time. When I came back I booted the machine up and got to my desktop, shortly after everything was loaded I heard the fans kick in once again, only this time they came on and then stopped. Its been fine ever since...so far. Its been about 20 minutes and they have not kicked on in high gear.

*UDATE#3* my last update to this post was yesterday at 3:40pm EST. I left the office at 5:30pm, for the last two hours of the day the fans never kicked on at high speed again. I returned to the office this morning and after a minute or two of being on my desktop the fans again kick in on high. Almost as if it is overheating but it is not. THe sound of an update causing this is not that far fetched, but I ran windows update yesterday after this started, and prior to that the last time windows updates were ran was last week sometime.

Last edited:

Nylonathathep

Feb 12, 2015
Spain
I have the exact same issue. M17X bought in 2012.

Problem started this morning (I seem to remember windows updated last night, also the Graphic card -660M- drivers)

I've performed all tests I could find at the BIOS, even intensive virus scans in safe mode. Nothing.

Also, the computer shut down on my face once without warning, and right now it just displayed a BSOD.

This cannot be a coincidence. Maybe there's something wrong with a recent driver update?

NOTE: By the way, while in "safe mode" the fans didn't act weird at all. And it was running in safe mode for quite a while.

Last edited:

uber_mensch

Feb 15, 2015
usa
I have same issue in an M18X bought less than a year ago. fans go to max output, then stop. audio and video go wonky for about 5 seconds. would only happen once per boot, and always within the first 10 minutes of booting.

at first my touchpad would stop working and i would reboot. and within a few minutes it would all happen all over again. now my touchpad works after, but i havent rebooted in a while, just go to standby, and my fans are fine.

thought it was a videocard problem, so updated drivers (was only one behind). still happened.

went to dell support to update everything they recommended. 2 random drivers and bios from A09 to A10. still happened.

ran a diagnostic from the setup menu b4 windows loads, everything checks out fine.

now everything seems as it should, but sometimes, the comp goes to standby by itself randomly, and refuses to turn on. also has happened when i put it under standby intentionally. light for charger doesn't light. looks completely dead. when trying to turn on, no response. when trying a hard reset, no response, as if the power button is not working at all. and randomly a few minutes later, comes back to life outta standby. has only happened a hanful of times, but still worries the hell outta me.

Update:
just got off the phone with tech support after a remote session and a benchmark. one of the video cards seemed to be to the problem though at first the motherboard was blamed. everything was diagnosed as fine, but during the benchmark, one of the cards severely underperformed (SLI), and the other had a random dip in its max load while watching GPU-Z. on m18x's its a dual card setup. have a technician coming out to replace them. not sure this will fix the problem tho, will try and update further.

Update:
video showing my issues. both after fresh reboot. one with sound glitching momentarily (sound is integrated in the videocards), the other with no sound so you can hear the fans. running a benchmark to stress the videocards, and you can see one is performing really crappy. and a taskbar notification of driver failure and recovery. but only shows when no sound, kinda weird. and let me add, once in a while comp turns off on its own, and won't wake up, but will on its own after a few minutes. hasn't happened since i updated all drivers and bios. so maybe not motherboard? anywho here are the links.
http://youtu.be/vis3_6dmTRQ
http://youtu.be/ueDveoCrvzA

Last edited:

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
I havent noticed any sound issues, but I usually dont have anything running with sound when mine acts up. It is usually within the first 5 minutes of getting to my desktop that the fans will kick on full blast, just for a split second and then stop. Or sometime it wont stop,,,they will just keep on running. After a few reboots they will kick inn and then stop as i mentioned. I have noticed that when they kick on momentarily, my mouse will freeze up while it happens and for a very short period after they stop. then it seems to 'catch up' with its self.

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
ANother update -

So the fans running on high is still an ongoing issue, its hit or miss at boot up whether or not they are going to kick in once i get to my desktop. My boss informed me that he read somewhere in some post that the ACC (Alienware Command Center) was an issue causing the fans to act like that. He did a repair (thru the programs and features applet) That was this past weekend (Valentines weekend) and since then he said the fans kicked on high once and stopped shortly after and hasnt acted up since. So I did the same repair on mine, and just as he said his did, my fans kicked on high shortly after getting to my desktop and then stopped. More to come later......

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

**ISSUE SOLVED**
Well for me anyway :D. I spent a couple hours this morning digging further into this, trying different phrases in my BING search bar. I finally came across a document that had me go into MSCONFIG and try some things. What it boils down to is a service that is starting when you start windows. I will post the link to the article in this post but want to tell you in my plain English what i had to do. Basically what the article goes through and has you do is to first: make sure you hide all the microsoft services so you do not accidentally disable them. Second: once that is done, disable all the startup services. Third: next click on the Start up tab and disable all the items in there. now click ok and reboot your machine. Once it is rebooted see if the fans kick on after about 2-3 maybe 4 minutes. Mine did not. Go back into MSCONFIG and once again make sure that you hide all the microsoft services. Now enable half of the services and click ok - reboot the machine again. Once it reboots see if the fans kick in after the 2-3 maybe 4 minutes. If not then oncce again repeat the process enabling the other services. Long story short - I found 2 services- 'Dell Data Vault' and 'Dell Data Vault Wizard', I had not installed anything to my recollection that had to do with Dell Data Vault, so I BING'd it. At the bottom of the forum page that it took me too was some comments made by someone in the forum tht stated how disappointing they were with Dell and this Data Vault service because it was making his laptop fans run at full blast and he mentioned that it was an Alienware laptop!! I enabled those services and rebooted my laptop. Once I got to my desktop I waited for about 2 1/2 minutes and low and behold, the fans kicked on! I went back into MSCONFIG and disabled those same two services and rebooted. After reboot 5 minutes went by and no fans! I enabled those 2 services once again and rebooted. After about 2 1/2 minutes back on the desktop - the fans kicked in. I disabled them again and rebooted - nothing! WOOHOO!! I am not sure what installed those services and at this point I am not too worried about it as I am just happy the fans stopped.
Here is the link to the article that will detail how to get to the MSCONFIG panel if you are not familiar with the process. I hope this helps with those members here who are experiencing the same issue. Link:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/after-downloading-windows-8-processor-fan-is/13540341-95c8-44a1-9da4-c096700667a0

Here is the link that took me to the page where a guest commented on what the Dell Data Vault service was causing his laptop to do. The comments are on the bottom of the page. http://dell-data-vault.software.informer.com/

Last edited:

uber_mensch

Feb 15, 2015
usa
ANother update -

So the fans running on high is still an ongoing issue, its hit or miss at boot up whether or not they are going to kick in once i get to my desktop. More to come later......

**ISSUE SOLVED**
Well for me anyway :D. I spent a couple hours this morning digging further into this, trying different phrases in my BING search bar. I finally came across a document that had me go into MSCONFIG and try some things.
Here is the link to the article that will detail how to get to the MSCONFIG panel if you are not familiar with the process. I hope this helps with those members here who are experiencing the same issue. Link:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/after-downloading-windows-8-processor-fan-is/13540341-95c8-44a1-9da4-c096700667a0

Here is the link that took me to the page where a guest commented on what the Dell Data Vault service was causing his laptop to do. The comments are on the bottom of the page. http://dell-data-vault.software.informer.com/

i have done all this and my problem still persists. as an adendum to my previous posts, this problem is a hardware problem. monitor your task manager and the performance manager in the hard drive. i have had to get rid of many softwares because they would randomly thrash my hdd. dell data vault is just one of the many.

BROKE HOMBRE restart and go immediately to youtube, or a benchmark with sound. really anything with sound. stay put for 10 minutes, it will happen in less that time. make sure sound is playing and then monitor, this should happen to you. even if it does not... there is no excuse for this. and now i have to look forward to another interaction with customer support

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
i have done all this and my problem still persists. as an adendum to my previous posts, this problem is a hardware problem. monitor your task manager and the performance manager in the hard drive. i have had to get rid of many softwares because they would randomly thrash my hdd. dell data vault is just one of the many.

BROKE HOMBRE restart and go immediately to youtube, or a benchmark with sound. really anything with sound. stay put for 10 minutes, it will happen in less that time. make sure sound is playing and then monitor, this should happen to you. even if it does not... there is no excuse for this. and now i have to look forward to another interaction with customer support

My issue is resolved - if you read my post you will see that I verified it many time over. I have not had an issue since...You on the other hand have an M18x with sli config..totally different set up than what I have. your issue may be related to something else...I would definitely check your start up services for the dell data vault service and if it is there, disable it. It cant hurt, and it just may solve your fan issue. Ive benchmarked my system already since then and have not had any issues. If it fails to solve your issue then as I mentioned, you may have another issue(s). Best of luck....