Adding a GPU block to my water cooling

MattyB

I have decided to include one of my 670's to my water cooling loop. I have found that one of the cards tends to run 20 degrees C hotter than the other one. I guess that's the problem with having the cards so close to each other. Managed to pick up an XSPC block for $80 so it's no great expense and it will match the rest of my system. I wasn't going to worry about GPU water cooling till the 800's came out but where's the fun in waiting!

Here is what it currently looks like.
photo11.jpg

and I'll be adding one of these
xspc670_2.jpg

I don't get home for another 10 days so I'll have to wait patiently.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I will also have a look at improving the look of my cabling. It's pretty ugly right now.

Last edited:

DDuB420

Good choice on the block :cool:
Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

Check this link out for some ideas for your cabling, if you haven't already.

holeyguy66

hey matty my advice to you when adding these blocks is. since your aurora is alx you cant run a second radiator. id run your liquid into one processor then radiator then on to the other. processor being gpu or cpu. then you have to ask are you gonna do any overclocking. i only added the second radiator to make sure that my fluid is cooled down before it hits my cpu and the top rad is for cooling the liquid before its dumped in the res to add piece of mind for me. i will be over clocking to hell and back with mine the first few runs whenever that may be. sexy man sexy.

MattyB

Cheers. I was thinking along those lines. I won't be doing any crazy overclocking with my GPU. I will probably put the CPU in the loop after the radiator so it gets the coolest flow. I'll probably try a few different options to see what the best way to go is. I wish there was more room in these cases.

holeyguy66

i know man i wish they was the size of the p2 cases again that would atleast help.

MattyB

I have made a big decision and I think I am going to pull all my hardware from my ALX chassis and go minimalist with a Fractal Design Define R4. Slightly different design from AW....... :rolleyes:

77283f52-3505-40db-8167-7d1149c876b4.jpg
DefineR4_BL_inside_web.jpg

I have always loved the look of the Fractal cases. I can also fit a 240mm radiator and well as my single one. I was thinking of getting the Fractal XL R2 but I don't need that much space.

Stay tuned!

sway

I had this case, before I switched to my corsair 540 air. The fractal r4 is one of my favorite cases hands down. It's extremely quiet, good airflow, and looks awesome.

tappin from the Nexus 4

sway

This is what my x51 turned into!!! I just recently updated again to a newer mobo, ram, psu, and case. Fixing to start my custom loop. That led is blue too, camera is making it look purpleish.

Not hijacking your thread, fig you might want some different views of the case.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380921710820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380921710820.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380921730598.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380921730598.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6

MattyB

Looks good man! My custom loop should look pretty sexy in there. I was going for the side window too as well as the standard panel.

What radiator did you use up top? I have read some specs where they say you can fit a 280mm but most say that 240 is the biggest you can go.

I wish there was an extra 5 1/4 bay since my reservoir/pump takes up 2.

MattyB

Since I'm an idiot and didn't do my homework first, I have discovered that the XSPC GTX 670 water block does not fit the 670 FTW card since it uses the 680 PCB. DOH!!!

sway

Since I'm an idiot and didn't do my homework first, I have discovered that the XSPC GTX 670 water block does not fit the 670 FTW card since it uses the 680 PCB. DOH!!!

Yup that's right, easy to overlook though.

tappin from the Nexus 4

MattyB

Ordered the 680 XSPC equivalent block. Should be here Tuesday. Fingers crossed it fits!
Got to sell this one now

MattyB

So the 680 block came today. It's fitted onto one of my 670's and I've done a first draft of my loop setup. There's not a whole lot of room in here and I don't have any angled fittings and i could not be bothered ordering and waiting for them so this is pretty much what it's going to have to look like.
photo(1).jpg

Final draft
photo (2).jpg

Leak tested all last night and everything worked out great. Decided to extend the GPU-Res tube higher so I could access the RAM a little easier. Haven't benchmarked yet but GPU idle temps are down. I still have another fan to put up on the radiator.
photo (2).jpg