test

Adding an additional HDD

DeRon1

Hello my friends its me again and I have a Query for our resident experts;)

If you noticed i have updated my profile about the beast i hope to receive really soon! Because I found it cost effective not to Buy the additional HDD from Dell I Purchased myself a 500GB seagate monentus 7200RPM for very very cheap! My problem is I have heard how too and you tubed the installation process! I must tell you that I am no closer to understanding this than I were b4 i bought the HDD.:( So Is there anyone here that can break down this process for me in a way that a noob like myself can understand! I have some tech knowledge just not a tremendous amount sooz i'm looking for install for Dummies :) ;)

Thanks Again m8's

" If You Build It They Will Come"

AeonSoul

I installed an SSD myself, the process is not much different. It's kind of late right now, but tomorrow I'll break it down for you. It's easier than it seems.

DeRon1

I have a pretty good idea of how to change them out but my concerns are with the 0 raid and 1 raid settings and how to! and is it truly necessary to operate in those configurations. can I just use my 2nd HDD as a slave to the 1st HDD.

I have kills disk and replace plus set up... win7 dual booted alongside ultimate edition 3.4 on my hp dv7 plus changed out the Hdd on this Acer but never worked with the double Hdd scenario! the last thing i want to do is screw my beast up b4 I Can rip and run!

DeRon1

Thanks AeonSoul! ;) My Rig is still poking around at Dell in Production right now "hopefully here this week :(" So i have time to sit back and take notes. I'll be here :) ;0

AeonSoul

Well if you want to set up a RAID configuration I can't help you there, but you can just plug in a second hard drive and use it as a storage without issues. You just need to plug it in and format it once the machine is up and running.
Since you said you got the plugging in process figured out I will leave it for now, but if you need help with that let me know.
Oh, and the m17x has 2 HDD bays, so you don't have to swap them out if you're planning to use it as a secondary drive.

DeRon1

thats gr8 AeonSoul and thanks so much for clearing it up! I was under the impression that it was necessary to put it into a raid configuration in order to add the 2nd to the additional bay area! So there is no need to put into a raid 0 and worry about if 1HDD fails the other is trashed to or writing the same information onto the 2nd HDD as is on the 1st in raid 1..

I no that in a raid 0 configuration your lappy performs faster but my question now is using the additional Hdd as a slave. Can it cause lag or slow me down any or will i notice anything at all? ;) thanks for your time

yikes81

The only reason that raid will be faster is because the data can be striped across the 2 HDDs. so therefore you can access the one file from 2 HDD at the same time. but you will lose some HDD space to parity.

HDDs are fast enough that you do not need to do this. and if you want to maximise your space, then don't raid them. but your then lose the redundancy.