Adding SSD to Existing X51 R2 with Single 2TB HDD?

SFAlfaDude

Jun 25, 2013
UK
Hi All,
I am expecting delivery of my X51 R2 (I opted for the Win 8 O/S, god help me!) in the coming week or so. As I have read a lot of owners seem to be adding the SSD themselves.

I would like to consider doing this myself and so I am hoping someone out there will be able to offer some guidance around;

a) Is it possible?
b) Is there actually any benefit (I read somewhere that Dell's standard build when based on a single 2TB HDD will inhibit the use of an after-market SSD add-on!
c) Does anyone have a detailed guide on how to perform the upgrade, whats needed and how to build the new SSD?

Sorry, I know this is a lot to ask for a newbie. But appreciate your help.

Thanks AWO's.

SFAlfaDude

Jun 25, 2013
UK
Hi All,
Okay ordered the Samsung SSD Evo today, already have the "Y" Cable from startech. I have AlienRespawn and have used that to do full backup to an external 2TB HDD. The alienrespawn has created a "DBR_BOOT" and "DBR_BACKUP" drive on the external HDD. The DBR_BOOT has a folder under it called "EFI".
My question is, if I now follow the install instructions for the SSD, will I be able to restore to the SSD from the external HDD? Forgive the dumb questions but I am no PC Hardware techie and would appreciate any guidance please.

Many thanks
Alfa