Additional Powersupply for 680+ graphics

Right now I have a GTX 670 4GB in my X51 running beautifully. But I know that's basically the highest that I'll get with graphics unless I switched out the case, or ran an external PSU. I like the case so I really don't want to switch it out. So I had an idea of somehow custom fitting one of these FSP GPU power supplies into the X51 by taking out the optical drive. I'm pretty sure it would be a really tight fit if at all but I wonder if that would work.

This is the power supply I am talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054

It's basically the size of a 5 1/4 DVD drive. I understand that it's much bigger then the slot loading drive that is in there now. I just wonder on the room in there if any for something like this. Externally would always be an option too.

I am content with my 670 running triples 1080P monitors for my iRacing and other racing sims, runs perfectly fine maxed out, no overheating, artifacts none of that. I am just talking in the future, that's all just a thought.

simp0man

Nov 21, 2013
Cali4iA
I got my Alienware x51 R2 with a GTX 670 2gb stock. Its about 2 weeks old. How were you able to get the 4gb? What was the GPU before it? Which brand is it? Is it the FTW(for the win) edition? The reason why Im asking is to get an upgrade for my GTX 670 without any major upgrade such as an adde PSU. Would this GTX 670 4gb run on the already 330w PSU that I already have?

I got my Alienware x51 R2 with a GTX 670 2gb stock. Its about 2 weeks old. How were you able to get the 4gb? What was the GPU before it? Which brand is it? Is it the FTW(for the win) edition? The reason why Im asking is to get an upgrade for my GTX 670 without any major upgrade such as an adde PSU. Would this GTX 670 4gb run on the already 330w PSU that I already have?

I have the eVGA GTX670 4GB SC, this is on a X51 R1 too BTW. It runs perfectly fine in my system I've played Crysis 3, Batman, BF3, iRacing, F12012, all on basically maxed out, on very high or ultra for several hours with no issues. Batman crashed a couple times but I think that's just that game as I've never had anything else crash. But to go from a GTX 670 2GB to a 4GB I don't think you're not gaining much unless you are trying to run 3 monitors like I do, that's really the only reason to go with the 4GB version.