Adjust Core Voltage

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
Hi, I've got an Aurora R4 with an i7-4820K. Is there any way to adjust the core voltage from within the BIOS settings? I've spent hours searching for information about this without any luck. Dell has some information about older Aurora models, but none of it applies to the R4, which only has a couple of pre-configured OC settings that don't alter the default core voltage.

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
I'm surprised no one in the community has ever figured it out. I haven't been able to get past 4.3/4.4 GHz in stress tests, but from what I've read 4.5 GHz should be a reasonable target if the core voltage could be bumped up to around 1.41V.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think too many people would be attempting to make an unlocked BIOS for an Alienware desktop. The type of people who could do that would be the guys who build their own PC's or just work with laptops.
You could always ask the gurus at Tech|Inferno though.

Last edited:

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
MattyB,

Thanks, I took a look at the Tech|Inferno forums, but there's not much going on there except for a few threads about Alienware laptops.

Is there any site where people optimize performance settings for Aurora R3/R4s, or does everyone just mostly stick to the factory OC settings and be done with it?

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I never really came across too many when I first got my ALX. Like I mentioned, most overclocking enthusiasts build their own machines with motherboards which can really unleash your CPU.
If you really want to get into it I would suggest dropping a few hundred bucks on a nice new motherboard. I did that and so did Holeyguy. You will really enjoy the benefits that come with it. All your lights should still work. I never had a problem. If you ever have any other component issues while you're under warranty then you can throw your old one back in.
If you've never messed with that kind of stuff before don't worry. It's actually a lot easier than it seems.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
You wouldn't be able to run 1.4v anyway without a custom water cooled build. That would get crazy hot on any aio or air unless that was one golden chip. I can run up to 1.5v on my 3770k but that's with a custom loop and that's pushing it with temps. You'll def need another mobo for overclocking, but that's easy and worth it. Unless you got a crappy chip, you should be able to hit 4.5 well under 1.4v though. I got a horrible 3770k and run it at 4.6ghz @1.3v, after that I need 1.5+ to get anything else stable.

tappin from the neXus 5

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
Hey sway,

Thanks for the advice.

The Aurora does have a CLC -- mine is actually upgraded with a copper base plate. I don't think I've seen it go above 70°C in tests.

From what little info I've found about the 4820K, the core voltage should range from 1.37V to 1.48V at 4.6 GHz.

Not a big deal, just seems a shame this isn't possible right out of the box.

pex

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
Have you tried any new BIOS update that might provide an unlocking feature?

Hi Jay,

I have the latest BIOS. I don't know enough about overclocking to say what's going on, but it looks like the BIOS is only partially locked.

Here's the BIOS "Overvoltage Configuration" submenu:
- Dynamic CPU VCore Offset
- VCC SA Offset (20H OUT2)
- DDR3 Memory Voltage
- DMI and Uncore Voltage (2AH OUT1)
- CPU PLL 1.8V

I can find no instructions that explain which settings should be adjusted or how they should be adjusted.