test

Aero doesn't start

AeonSoul

I've got this slightly annoying issue.

Sometimes, not very often, when I boot Win7, Aero suddenly crashes (only at the boot of the system), leaving me with the default Win7 look.
The only way to get it back on is to restart the system.

It seems that the delegated service to manage Aero (Desktop window manager, or something like that), is not responding. Even if I restart the service it won't restart Aero.

It's really not a big issue, just annoying. Anyone has any idea what can cause this and how to fix it?

MattyB

Had the same issue with my M17x. Never found a fix. Just had to reboot sometimes.

Maelstrom

Have you tried running the Aero troubleshooter? A lot of the time this happens because of some start up program that forces the theme to change to basic mode so that the application runs better. It used to do it all the time with iTunes on my computer until I stopped using iTunes.

Run the troubleshooter and if it fixes it then it's probably an issue with some program your running.

Here,

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Appearance and Personalization

That's the directory for the Aero troubleshooter. It's always seemed to solve my problems with it crashing.

Last edited:

BlackJair

Have you done the WEI? Sometimes if you don't launch WEI Windows doesn't recognize the Graphic Card and doesn't enable Aero.

AeonSoul

Have you done the WEI? Sometimes if you don't launch WEI Windows doesn't recognize the Graphic Card and doesn't enable Aero.
It's not a WEI problem, but this made me remind that if I do the WEI, in the test where it turns Aero off and then on again, it fails to turn it on.

MattyB

When I used to troubleshoot the problem it told me that Aero was turned off for some reason. I could never turn it back on but restarting the computer would do the job. I think it's just a glitch in Windows.

AeonSoul

When I used to troubleshoot the problem it told me that Aero was turned off for some reason. I could never turn it back on but restarting the computer would do the job. I think it's just a glitch in Windows.

Yeah it's pretty much the same here. I think it's an SSD thing, since on the stock HDD this never happened.