aienware 14 low brightness IPS

darkZ

Hey guys,

I am having a hard time playing any games with any decent amount of surrounding lighting. Even though I crank up my display brightness to max and increase the in-game brightness to max as well I cannot see things super clearly as my 4 year old home LCD monitor which is lol loosing brightness too but it still outperforms this alienware screen. Any help ?

Many thanks !
darkZ

Sarah

Sounds a bit strange because the screen on my 17 is incredibly bright, although it is the glossy truelife one. Have you tried looking at the power plan settings to see if any brightness settings are active in there? It probably isn't that but if it were my machine I'd check anyway.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

And welcome to the forum :)

darkZ

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. I just checked, there's nothing out of the ordinary in the settings there. I have even turned the adaptive brightness off. The brightness of my screen leaves much to be desired while gaming which is what is the main focus of this series I suppose.

Thanks though for your help.

And thank you for welcoming me :)

Cheers.

Sarah

You're very welcome darkZ :) Regarding your laptop it is of course possible that the display backlighting is not working correctly. Can you pop a photo of your screen up on here so we can see it? I've owned 6 Dell laptops with similar screens and they have all been beautifully vibrant and bright so yours should be too. Maybe you should try a call to support and see what they say?

darkZ

Hey Sarah,

Its hard to take a photo of the thing because the low brightness is only observed while playing games and in slightly dark areas of the game. I would need god photography skills to get the right photograph but unfortunately all I have is a cell phone camera. I am just waiting for someone around me to get the same laptop and see if their screen has the same issue.

Sarah

I assume that you have the 1920 x 1080 screen? According to a review of the 14 by LaptopMag (http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/alienware-14.aspx) that screen is well below the class average for brightness and viewing angles :( This is odd because the display on the 17 (well mine anyway) is dazzlingly bright - way brighter than my Dell Ultrasharp monitor.

What is it like when watching a Blu-Ray or DVD? I'm wondering if there maybe some settings you could check in the nVidia software for brightness? It may have settings to lower the brightness when gaming to reduce power consumption? I can't check because I'm not with my laptop at this moment.

MattyB

Hey Sarah,

Its hard to take a photo of the thing because the low brightness is only observed while playing games and in slightly dark areas of the game. I would need god photography skills to get the right photograph but unfortunately all I have is a cell phone camera. I am just waiting for someone around me to get the same laptop and see if their screen has the same issue.

My 14 screen is bright and vibrant. (not as vibrant as my M18x's glossy screen though). If it's not some hidden setting somewhere, I sense you have an issue. If it's really bad I would be getting onto Dell to see what they have to say.