Alienware 14 - SSD Upgrade

Cuitcell

May 27, 2014
Norway
Hello everyone.

Had my Alienware 14 for a while now, and wondering to upgrade to an ssd.

Saw a few guides on this, but every guide, they are changing out the main harddrive + mSATA drive.
So my question is, can I just swap the main HDD? :D

Thinking about this: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB BK OEM

Thakns!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

OR would it be ok to just upgrade the mSATA (120GB) to boot drive and for some applications?

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/6221-Installing-SSD-in-addition-to-750GB-SATA-drive-in-new-Alienware-14

Check out the above thread where I was given excellent advice and a great YouTube video to watch.

I installed an mSATA SSD (Samsung evo 840 250GB) which is now my boot drive and am using the existing 750GB HDD as file storage. It's working fantastically and doesn't involve removing any components.

The only thing you need to do is remove the bottom cover of the laptop (4 screws) then plug in the mSATA card and put in one screw to hold it down. The screw required is hard to find, but just happens to be the exact same screw as is used on the laptop base cover, so I just used one of those (now I only have three screws holding the cover on).

Cuitcell

May 27, 2014
Norway
http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/6221-Installing-SSD-in-addition-to-750GB-SATA-drive-in-new-Alienware-14

Check out the above thread where I was given excellent advice and a great YouTube video to watch.

I installed an mSATA SSD (Samsung evo 840 250GB) which is now my boot drive and am using the existing 750GB HDD as file storage. It's working fantastically and doesn't involve removing any components.

The only thing you need to do is remove the bottom cover of the laptop (4 screws) then plug in the mSATA card and put in one screw to hold it down. The screw required is hard to find, but just happens to be the exact same screw as is used on the laptop base cover, so I just used one of those (now I only have three screws holding the cover on).

Nice one! Thank you. Now i can have both a SSD and one big HDD :D

Did seem easy to swap, so ill give it a try!