test

Alienware 17 (2013) upgrade to 980M

thegh0sts

My GTX 980M shipped today from Montreal and is heading my way. From my research over at the techinferno and notebookreview forums is that windows 8 or later is preferrable for running a 980M with a 60hz display (which I have) in UEFI only and windows 7 in legacy BIOS.

if you have a 120hz display you can't run on the legacy BIOS or even windows 7 as you're required to run in UEFI. having a 60hz display is much better in this case due to the intel 4600 gpu not being compatible with the 120hz (3d or non-3d) display. upgrading for SLI systems will also have its complications.

so essentially if you are:

- running in a pure UEFI mode (no legacy mode or UEFI-CSM).
- using windows 8 or later
- 60hz display
- Latest BIOS (A14)

then it "should" be simple to upgrade though you do need modded drivers and disable driver signing enforcement in order to install the drivers as the new GPU is considered to be not officially supported. I also intend to flash a modded vBIOS by svl7 (over at techinferno) and overclock it to the max...i already have a 330W PSU (the ones from the Alienware 18 and X51) and yes the system recognises it as 330W. the stock 240W PSU just won't cut it when it comes to overclocking and the extra 90W buffer might help.

the downside is that some systems may experience throttling in games and most of them have been in SLI set ups, though I only have a single GPU system so it may or may not happen.

mine is due to come in tomorrow so looking forward to giving it a go and see if i can clear out my GTX 780M.

Last edited:

thegh0sts

Finally received my GTX 980M in the mail yesterday and it works nicely, flashed it with an unlock vBIOS and now it's clocking in at 1.3GHz :)

bad_boo

Hi, please let us know how the installation was. I want to upgrade mine some day

thegh0sts

Temps at 1.3??

I had to downclock it to about 1260MHz but for the most part games like star wars battlefront will stay below 70 deg C. I have flashed it to Prema's unlocked 980M vBIOS 1.1.1.

Hi, please let us know how the installation was. I want to upgrade mine some day

By the time i made the original post it was already working. I have also installed Windows 10 home and it too is working as expected though i did have to disable Fast Boot in the UEFI settings and Fast Startup in windows.