Alienware 17 information wanted

Powerclocks

Alienware 2014. I bought this one recently with some issues, I wanted a cheap and powerful computer so I bought one with problems. I am wanting to work out the model designation of my laptop so I can buy new speakers and a mousepad, I have searched many sites that often contradict. What I do know is it was deployed April 26 2014. It has 32g ram. 2tb HD. 2.9ghz processor, 64bit.
The case style fits with it being R5. Is there anything else I need to know about this before I start buying bits on eBay only to find I have the wrong parts due to entering the wrong model number or chasis type. It is high spec so mods can occur in up market models.
Any information appreciated. I am not a gamer. I simply like the Alienwate Product. It gives the Grandkids the illusion the old fella knows a thing or two so they better not mess with my stuff. HaHa.

Attachments

MattyB

Staff member
Have you tried using the service tag on the bottom of your machine on the Dell Website? If you go to the support section you can enter this number and find out about your particular machine.

Powerclocks

Tag is partially illegible, I did an auto identify and got the service tag, I also got a service code, but it is different to the service code on the machines tag. I was just hoping someone would visually identify it so I can buy parts with some certainty they would fit

MattyB

Staff member
Once you have the service tag then the Dell website should tell you exactly what generation it is. If if just says Alienware 17 then you have the first gen 17. It should say Alienware 17 R2, R3, etc if you have a later model. See pic below.

Attachments

MattyB

Staff member
The R5 is the most recent model of the 17 so you definitely don't have that one. The first gen Alienware 17 was often called the R5 because it followed the old generation M17x R4.

Powerclocks

The R5 is the most recent model of the 17 so you definitely don't have that one. The first gen Alienware 17 was often called the R5 because it followed the old generation M17x R4.
That is where I get the problem, I found lots of pictures of first gen referring to them as R5 but when I use the deployment date I get pictures of cases with a different back hinge that is wrong for an R4 and more resembles the R5. the R4 has a hinge stepped forward the R5 is hinged on the edge

Powerclocks

That is where I get the problem, I found lots of pictures of first gen referring to them as R5 but when I use the deployment date I get pictures of cases with a different back hinge that is wrong for an R4 and more resembles the R5. the R4 has a hinge stepped forward the R5 is hinged on the edge
Hi, found it, I am now pretty sure it is called a P18E, Deployed 2014. I still cant find a reference anywhere as to whether its right to call it an R4 or whatever, does Dell even use that designation. I think it will be safer to refer to it as a P18E when looking for parts as everyone seems to be having the same trouble I am. Ignorance is bliss.

MattyB

Staff member
Yours is definitely the first gen 17 which was released with the 880M in 2014. The R2 came out with the 980M. It looks like it is also referred to as the P18E. I'm not sure if other versions of the 17 were also called a P18E.

Powerclocks

New Request, I am putting my computer in for the required repair job, being replace the speakers that sound crap and replace the touch pad that is not working, now I only want to pay to have it stripped down once so I asked the guys at the repair shop who were very friendly what the best way to attack this, they said bring in the parts and we will fit them for you in a couple of hours, sounds reasonable and if I get the right parts time efficient. I have the speakers and now I am looking for the touch pad, it looks like several models used the same pad, (Right?) I found this and before hitting the buy button thought to ask the brains trust first, this is what it fits, bearing in mind mine is a P18E.
anyone got any input?
original for Dell Alienware M14X M15X M17X R2 R3 15 17 R4 0HKX75 HKX75 touchpad mouse button board 920-002412-02REVA TM2417
Yours is definitely the first gen 17 which was released with the 880M in 2014. The R2 came out with the 980M. It looks like it is also referred to as the P18E. I'm not sure if other versions of the 17 were also called a P18E.

MattyB

Staff member
Those AW machines are the older style generation (M14x, M15x, M17x and also the M18x). I've owned all of them at some point (still have two M18x). I wouldn't think they are compatible with your model but I never had a newer style 17. If it's just the control board for the pad then maybe they never changed it after they changed the design. They look a lot different though.

Attachments

Powerclocks

Thank you. It's not like buying car parts. You've got to research without a specific manual a part that could have been superceded. Odd situation.

MattyB

Staff member
I know what you mean. I'm a Plant Manager for a construction company so it's my job to order parts for cars, trucks, and light/heavy machinery.

- Hence the CAT Yellow spray job I did on my AW 13 in my pic.

Powerclocks

I love the Alienware stuff but there is a job waiting for a Techie to write a book on them due to the Cult Following. Do it like a spring bind folder to take updates (at a price of course) an ongoing money maker.