test

Alienware 17 - OpenGL Issues?

Archon

Greetings,

I was hoping a fellow AW17 owner might help me reclaim my sanity. I have a brand new Alienware 17 with Geforce 860m GPU. When I try and run OpenGL heavy applications (Sketchup, Blender, OpenGL Extension Viewer 4.1, Unigine Heaven 2.1, FurMark, etc.) and have specified that the Nvidia GPU explicitly handle the rendering duties, I am met with either a Blank White Screen within a window, a Blank Black Screen within a window, OR in the case of FurMark, a Blank Black Screen in Full Screen mode.

These are all free applications, is anyone here able or willing to try running one of these applications and verify that they are behaving similarly? Again, this is with the Nvidia GPU being the primary rendering engine for these applications. In almost every case, I had to setup a profile within Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, and specify the Nvidia GPU be used.

I am running Nvidia's 344.48 drivers (but have tried: 344.11, 340.82, 337.88, 337.50) and Intel's 15367 driver. This is on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 with all updates current as of this writing.

The OpenGL behavior is also unacceptable using the integrated HD4600 GPU and has similar but different behaviors, however, ultimately, I expect to be using the Nvidia GPU with these applications.

Any help in verifying these results would be very helpful. Support from Dell seems to be geared towards proving it's not the person's fault I'm presently talking to and to be shuffled to the next person in line, and then to repeat that process until someone can hang up on me or ask me to pay a lot of money because it's "clearly" not their problem.

Nvidia support has been more helpful, but am told these issues are handled on a first come first served basis, and I'm about 3 weeks to a month back in the line.

I'm sure I omitted something, so let me know how I can help you guys help me!

Thanks.