test

Alienware 17 R1 distorted red color

Oskkar

Does anyone know if it's a video card problem or something else. I switched my video card to nvidia 770m, but when I restarted the laptop the screen turned red and and it flickers. I tried everything from reinstalling the drivers and did diagnosis on the video card and it passed. The weird part is when I switched to the discreet graphics card it's not only in Windows but everything like in the Bios and start up. I connected my laptop to my TV by HDMI and the screen is fine, but the laptop screen is distorted red. I don't know if explained myself.

Last edited:

yauchout

Does anyone know if it's a video card problem or something else. I switched my video card to nvidia 770m, but when I restarted the laptop the screen turned red and and it flickers. I tried everything from reinstalling the drivers and did diagnosis on the video card and it passed. The weird part is when I switched to the discreet graphics card it's not only in Windows but everything like in the Bios and start up. I connected my laptop to my TV by HDMI and the screen is fine, but the laptop screen is distorted red. I don't know if explained myself.

i would check the connector on your display i dont know if you disconnected it or not i haven't replaced the graphics in one of these yet so i dont know if its required to be disconnected .. but if its a ribbon connector it just has to be off a little for that to happen

Oskkar

i would check the connector on your display i dont know if you disconnected it or not i haven't replaced the graphics in one of these yet so i dont know if its required to be disconnected .. but if its a ribbon connector it just has to be off a little for that to happen
I'll have to check it out. I did replace the ram. I just haven't switched the video cards for a while. Thanks. I will check if I disconnected accidently. Where is the ribbon located?

yauchout

I'll have to check it out. I did replace the ram. I just haven't switched the video cards for a while. Thanks. I will check if I disconnected accidently. Where is the ribbon located?

i checked its not a ribbon but it is under the keyboard so unless you were under their it shouldn't have come loose i would check to at least make sure the graphics card is seated properly though just go ahead and pull it out and reinstall it

Oskkar

i checked its not a ribbon but it is under the keyboard so unless you were under their it shouldn't have come loose i would check to at least make sure the graphics card is seated properly though just go ahead and pull it out and reinstall it
I removed the video card and cleaned the metal connections and put it back. I turned it on and switched the video cards and it works now. Thanks a lot. I guess the connections were dirty of something. I need to buy paste for the gpu because the old one dried and I removed some. Anyone who has this problem should take out the video card and clean it.