Alienware 17 r2 Newbie Questions

FlubberDucky

Jul 20, 2015
Alright, so the other day while on vacation I saw my dream laptop since i was about 11 in a microcenter for around 2k so i went ahead and bought it with my saved money. I bought an early 2015 Alienware 17 r2 with the specs i7 4710, gtx 980m, 16gb ram, 128gb m2 ssd, 1tb 7200rpm hdd, touch screen, and i know it has windows 8 with the a02 bios. Ive been reading a lot on this laptop before I got it and my main concern was the heating issues it seemed to have. Since Ive gotten it I havent really experienced any bad heating, especially thru the keyboard. It just gets somewhat warm after playing csgo for around an hour or two. I havent been able to try out any demanding games like battlefield 4 or dayz because of my super slow internet, but those games are downloading right now. I just finished downloading hwinfo and I noticed my cpu temps are in the 60s and 70s Celsius and that is pretty damn hot. This is without even gaming. The keyboard just seems slightly warm but thats about it. Ive been researching and reading a lot and have seen a lot of info about changing the bios and stuff, but im a really big newbie at this stuff and im scared to brick my computer because I really dont have anyone to fix it in the area that I live nor money to pay for it since I pretty much blew it on the laptop. Are these temperatures normal for the cpu? What about my gpu? Will these temps rise when I start playing bf4 or other demanding games for 4-5 hours at a time? Im really freaking scared to fry and destroy my brand new laptop I just got yesterday, but I do want to use it for its intended purpose of gaming on ultra and that good stuff. Coming from a macbook pro and an imac with bootcamp running windows 7, I have had my fair share of very hot computers. Those things would get HOT and i mean DAMN HOT. Although, I was still able to play battlefield 3 for around 4-5 hours with my imac becoming a hot seatbelt buckle after sitting in the sun for a few hours and not being able to touch it without really burning yourself. The imac did shut down about 2 or 3 times from overheating in the past...I really did push it to its limit, but it would mostly hold up for the constant hours and hours I threw at it. Overall, I really dont know how to explain that im a total noob for this stuff and I really dont want to have any issues or problems with my new gaming beast. Is there any recommendations on what I should do or download or upgrade or anything? Should I upgrade to the bios a05 that the dell driver detection support told me to? Any help would be greatly appreciated by this newbie! Thank you guys!

I also forgot to mention that I currently have the 180w psu but my 240w should be getting here tomorrow!!!!

Oh, and also the fans do kick in, I seem to hear them a lot, so im pretty sure theyre working fine I guess...

Mawesome

Jun 8, 2015
Singapore
Well you should flash the A00 bios instead, it has much better temps. I'm currently in an air-con room (25°C) and my cpu temps are hovering around the 53°C range. Let me play a bit of skyrim and csgo so maybe you can get a little glimpse of what kind of temps you'll get with the A00 bios.

I'm back and yeah my temps never went above 65°C so yeah

Last edited:

FlubberDucky

Jul 20, 2015
How do yo get the 240w PS??? I bought mine a Microcenter too and it came with the 180w.
All laptops will come with the 180w psu if bought from somewhere other than the actual alienware website. I simply called alienware tech support as soon as I opened and set up my computer and told them it came with a 180w and it needs the 240w and the guy immediately said yes and took about 30 mins to fill out a form and my information and had it shipped to me free of charge with no problem. Shipped on Monday, received it on Tuesday.

All laptops will come with the 180w psu if bought from somewhere other than the actual alienware website. I simply called alienware tech support as soon as I opened and set up my computer and told them it came with a 180w and it needs the 240w and the guy immediately said yes and took about 30 mins to fill out a form and my information and had it shipped to me free of charge with no problem. Shipped on Monday, received it on Tuesday.

Dialing...