ALienware 17 R4, No video after POST

AquaAngel

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
So, for an Apple user guy (ie: not totally familiar with windows) , how do i make sure that windows will boot properly as i bought an installation USB windows 10 for my AW 17r4. once i will get it, i will install windows 10 on the new HDD. is there something that needs to be done to make sure that i will have graphics?
once i install the new OS, will it take care of the Driver issues?

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Windows will automatically search for the display driver and install it. You will have to see what happens once this is installed. Hopefully you just had a bad driver installed but if it continues then your probably have a hardware issue. There is also the slim possibility that reflashing the cards vBIOS can fix it. This is a last resort though.

Reactions: AquaAngel

AquaAngel

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
Windows will automatically search for the display driver and install it. You will have to see what happens once this is installed. Hopefully you just had a bad driver installed but if it continues then your probably have a hardware issue. There is also the slim possibility that reflashing the cards vBIOS can fix it. This is a last resort though.
let's cross fingers that it will work. i'll have to do more research on how to flash the Vbios on those machine, unless you guys know of a good few sites to teach some newbs on how to do it.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I know how to do it on the older laptops with MXM cards. Some of the laptops with soldered chips don't allow for a vBIOS flash and the system BIOS updates would fix certain issues. I think you should be able to though with yours.
To flash a vBIOS in Windows you need to download NVFlash and the vBIOS .rom from TechPowerUp. It is actually pretty easy but I've never done it on a BGA laptop.

EDIT; Here is a guide that I used to use

https://www.overclock.net/threads/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980.1523391/

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Flash at your own risk though. Sometimes a bad vBIOS flash will brick the GPU and that spells trouble for BGA machines.
I'd only suggest it as a last resort, and again, I have never flashed a BGA GPU.

Here are a list of vBIOS' for the GTX 1070 (I believe that is what you said you had).

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

There are different versions of the 1070 so it's best to get a vBIOS that matches your model. For the mobile versions the main two are the 1BA1 and 1BE1 cards. One is gsync and the other non-gsync. To find the one you have, go to Device Manager and right click on the 1070. Go to Properties - Details - Select Hardware ID from the dropdown. You should see which one you have. Maybe there is another mobile version that I haven't seen though so let me know.

1651467300215.png

1651467337337.png

Last edited:

AquaAngel

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
Flash at your own risk though. Sometimes a bad vBIOS flash will brick the GPU and that spells trouble for BGA machines.
I'd only suggest it as a last resort, and again, I have never flashed a BGA GPU.

Here are a list of vBIOS' for the GTX 1070 (I believe that is what you said you had).

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

There are different versions of the 1070 so it's best to get a vBIOS that matches your model. For the mobile versions the main two are the 1BA1 and 1BE1 cards. One is gsync and the other non-gsync. To find the one you have, go to Device Manager and right click on the 1070. Go to Properties - Details - Select Hardware ID from the dropdown. You should see which one you have. Maybe there is another mobile version that I haven't seen though so let me know.

View attachment 4209

View attachment 4210
Awesome, thank you. i'm just waiting for the USB windows installation drive and will keep you guys posted. just hope that it does fix the problem.

AquaAngel

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
Awesome, thank you. i'm just waiting for the USB windows installation drive and will keep you guys posted. just hope that it does fix the problem.
As of now, the only time i can read the hardware information is Via Bios, i don't think mine has the G-sync, but i will double check that before doing any of the flashing "as a last result" of course. but it sure is interesting to work on a different system. Apple computers do have gpu failing some time to time and usually is a artifact showing on the screen, usually mean that they overheated and about to fail unless you put in a fresh thermal paste and never had a issue of a GPU that stopped working. windows based machine behave differently when a hardware is failing and a driver wasn't installed properly or corrupted. I love learning new things and this Alienware sure is keeping me on my toes. love this machine and now working on the second one for rebuild. i sure learn a lot on them

Reactions: MattyB

AquaAngel

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
I had an interesting chit chat with a friend of mine concerning my 2nd Alienware laptop that i am working on. i'm still having some no screen under win 10, win 7 shows graphics, but what i have is an upgrade, trying win 8 and i can't see the drive, could be a bad driver that i have, but here is my question. what is the best OS that those laptop can handle smoothly? is 8 came pre installed when those laptop were released? or was it win7?

Just an update on that Laptop. For some weird reason, i tried again to install windows 10 on there , but it did booted and had a lot of Artifacts flickering everywhere on the screen, some sign of progress, ....... which it did as i was finally able to finish the installation with Cortana and all, reboot the machine, finished most of the update and boom, no more graphics again. This will conclude that the board have a bad GPU. the laptop will be for sale for parts soon. i was happy to see all the graphics and finalizing the installation and the screen went black again. false hope. lol