Alienware 17R2 Owners. You may have received the wrong power adapter!

Nick

Jun 11, 2015
I had to call Alienware tech support because I noticed that my spacebar on my brand new 17R2 was squeaking.

I was told this is a defect and I can have a service agent make a home visit to fix it. During the course of the call I tried to plug my laptop in to play some Sniper Elite III that I bought from the steam sale :D. I found that the laptop was not charging. I notified the agent and he looked at the invoice for my order and told me the wrong power adapter was sent to me with my order! Yikes! I was apparently supposed to receive the 240W power adapter.

He had informed me that the wrong power adapters have been going out the door with the 17R2s as of late and that they needed to get me the proper power adapter. Luckily, the technician who is coming to fix my spacebar will also be bringing the correct power adapter

I've seen some posts around here saying that when people have called Dell/Alienware about receiving the wrong power adapter they were told it's not true. I can confirm that it is an issue. As proof, here's a screengrab of my current service request:

upload_2015-6-12_18-54-6.png

So if you have the 17R2 check the power brick! If you look at the model number on the underside, it might read something like mine: FA180PM111

The 180 in the model number means 180Watts.

This is kind of a bummer that the my brick won't work 3 days after I got my laptop as I was planning on gaming this weekend on my Alienware as well as work but unfortunately I won't be able to. :(

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-12_18-52-24.png
    upload_2015-6-12_18-52-24.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 11

Nick

Jun 11, 2015
doesn't really matter cos the BIOS will still throttle the CPU anyway.
That can be turned off. After playing around with this lappy for a few weeks now I've noticed that CPU throttling isn't actually all that bad. The software is intelligent enough to actually throttle up or down appropriately. With it off I noticed that the CPU hovered at 2.6GHz but with throttling on and dual monitor'd with a game client on the HDMI connection and a hardware monitor on the lappy screen, the CPU would regularly hover between 3.2GHz-3.6GHz in games like Sniper Elite 3, Planetside 2 and Witcher 3 as well as installing large applications like Visual Studio 2013. Also, with throttling on, I noticed that the CPU would idle around 0.8GHz when no processes were running. Believe me, the throttling isn't that bad of a thing.