test

Alienware 18 pending purchase

nerdallica

I was about to buy my new alienware 18 when i read something that made me worry about my pending purchase. Do you guys have anything you would change based On what i post below.

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)

Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English

1 Year Alienware Basic Support

1 year Accidental Damage Service

18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display

Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz

1TB 5400 RPM + 80G mSATA spring

Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner 9.5 mm

No tablet

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2013

no Anti virus

no Adobe Creativity and Productivity Software

no Digitally Delivered Software

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I always recommend spending what you can afford on upgrading the screen, CPU, and video card. They are more difficult to upgrade later than memory and hard drives.

shankc

I would go for the dual 770m at least if you can afford it, you could upgrade graphics at later date but as tommy say's your best off doing it when purchasing if you have the funds

Alienwulf

With dual gpu's even the 765m your going to be able to game very well. But like said if you can dig up the money always best to max the gpu and screen as every thing else can be after market and cheaper for upgrades. Don't get to caught up second guessing your self it's a fine machine as is if I did not have the 17 the 18 would be my pick.

nerdallica

Thanks, I'll be going with the duel 780s then.

Does anyone have a representative they recommend? The person we go through at work said they couldn't do my order.

MattyB

Yeah upgrading your GPUs later will cost more than getting them from Dell. It's weird but they usually have decent upgrade prices on their store. Look for their monthly specials too. Sometimes they do free hardware upgrades.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Thanks, I'll be going with the duel 780s then.

Does anyone have a representative they recommend? The person we go through at work said they couldn't do my order.

Be sure to look for coupons if you buy it online. You can try the Dell's EPP website if you or someone in your family can qualify. Just make sure your coupons are for the EPP website or they won't work. Sometimes you can save money through the EPP website. I would configure your system on both their regular website and the EPP one to see which one gives you the best price.

Use two different web browser so the shopping carts don't get mixed up.

DDuB420

Downgrade the RAM to 8GB, Upgrade DVD to Blu Ray

Buy different RAM than stock :cool:

nerdallica

In case you guys are interested this is what i ended up ordering.

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz

Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled

1TB 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, English

Optical Drive : Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD/RW, CD-RW)

Accidental Damage Service, 1 Year

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

18.4 inch (467.36mm) WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013

shankc

You wont regret spending extra on the graphics card I thought I would save money and get a cheaper graphics card but after 3 months I couldn't handle the low frame rates so I got Dell to upgrade my GPU. If only I had spent a little extra when I purchased I wouldn't of had to pay a dell techie and price of card. So you have definitely done the right thing good luck and happy gaming