test

alienware 18x r1 problem

Ziewe

Hi, i bougt a allienware m18x r1 last week, but i have problem, i think its with gpu fan. The problem is, i play a minecraft about hour or 2, and me screen just make dark, sounds disapier, then i turn of me laptop i check gpu temp and shows 70C, air intake is good. If i play BF2 on very hight graphics its turn of about 1min then start play, how fix this problem?
Thnaks.
:):(

P.S.
Then i turns off i fast check laptom frame temps with hands and its just about ~30-40C

Alienwulf

Might be the GPU or a number of things seeing you have no history with this unit. Myself I would call or take back to the seller if bought on ebay I would contact seller or ebay seller protection. I would not mess with it if you bought it a week ago.

Playtime747

Alienwulf hit the nail on the head... :) Video card 1 on my R2 was overheating when I received it. It would hit 90C and throttle down killing my FPS. The problem was, It had a small drop of thermal compound on it. Replaced all my compound on both cards and CPU with aftermarket and all is good now. I don't know how old yours is but, it may need to have the thermal compound replaced on the heatsink or worst case a bad video card. Good luck!!!

Playtime747

Thanks Alienwulf!!! It will play all the games my main rig will with no problem. I bought it so I can still game on trips and not get withdrawals...lol Awesome score on your custom build!!!! ;)

Ziewe

hi guys, i fix a little bit a problem, in my loptop was only 3d vision driver, and i downloaded from nvidia web a ful video card drivers, and now pc stuck about 4hours game play, i think i need to reinstall windows, but i have only reinstallation dvd, so how can i completle delete windows from laptop and install with reinstallation dvd, or i need tu buy new windows? or i need just download from somewhere win 7 and instal to dvd and then use me license key ?:)
thanks for help

Ziewe

I made a pre-boot system test, and test fans and my video fan is set only 2000rpm max, but max the fan speed is 4000rpm, the fan can use only 50% the speed how can i change from 2000rpm to 4000rpm?

Last edited:

MattyB

You can try to upgrade your BIOS first before you do anything else. You will get this from the Dell website. Go into Support, enter your Service Tag (located under your machine) and it should be listed there somewhere.