Alienware Alpha Game Console

ejohnson

Here are my hopes and dreams for the steam machine.

Socket cpu
mxm gpu...

thats about it :)

But really, I think if they use the basic aw17 motherboard (change the layout to fit into the little box)
Then use a mxm gpu and a socket cpu they will have a great machine.
Using mobile hardware in the micro desktop chassis makes alot of sense, and I think they can pull it off. I really hope they dont skimp on it and use bga parts... or midline gpus... a 765m is not going to cut it. 780/880m with a i5 is going to make this thing scream.
2 ram slots laptop sized to save space. msata, along with a 2.5inch hdd.

I know they want to compete in the console market, but they need to have the super version.

digitalbrass

I think in the end it really comes down to the controller, the x51 was a great idea but in the end, its not excatly great playing shooters like counter strike on the couch with a keyboard and mouse. The controller is what will make or break the idea.

And now with steam in home streaming there may not be a reason to hinder oneself to such a small machine..

ejohnson

I think fps will not be something played much on a steam machine.... controllers get stomped by keyboard/mouse gamers... always have and always will.

Even games that give controller players autoaim get stomped.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
There will probably be a way to use a keyboard/mouse setup. Looking good!

Alienware_Alpha.png

ADOR

I do find it amusing that it's up for pre order with out knowing the full specs.

jacobberke

Looks like a legit machine, but i think i'm good with my pc and a wireless controller.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I don't think I will be getting one either. The PC, xbox360, and xbox one will keep me busy.