Alienware Aurora R3 I7-2600k - bios A11 - Overclock help?

randy161

Hello

Hopefully someone can help a newbie with my 2011 Alienware Aurora R3 - I have attached some bios pics. Facttory overclock is 3.2 and I changed the base clock to 3.4. I would like to go a little higher but not sure about if i need to increase the voltage or change any ram settings. Basicly just trying to squeeze another 6 months out of this rig. i just added a GForce GTX 1060, I have an ssd and 12 GB DDR3 ram.

Can someone tell me if I change the base clock to 180 or 190. What else needs to be done. Or how do i make this rig go faster?

Attachments

Last edited:

MattyB

It's been a few years since I have done any overclocking but from memory you will need to increase the voltage to keep things stable as you increase the base clock but that can cause it's own problems. It can be a lot of trial and error (crashes and CMOS resetting). To be honest, I don't think you will see a great difference will an overclock. It's great for benchmarking and general fun but I never saw any huge difference when I juiced up my 3770k. When I did that I was using a non-AW mobo in my Aurora R4 which came with it's own overclocking software so I can't help much with the AW BIOS overclocking sorry.

MattyB

Honestly most of what I read there says that the 2600K is at the end of its life if you’re doing much more than office stuff. If you want to push it to 4.7 then you’re going to have to upgrade your cooling (which can be expensive) and then you have to spend hours trying to get the overclock right and hope you have a CPU that can handle it (every CPU/GPU is different even if it has the same name). It also says that the GPU is the overriding factor for high end games. I’d suggest to play with overclocking your CPU but if you hit a wall then it will be cheaper to get a mid range new gen CPU and mobo than install a custom water loop that can bring your temps down.