test

Alienware Aurora R4 upgrade from GTX 690 to Titan Z. Need Help.

MrPicles

HEllo ppl i just bought a a stupidly expensive graphic card called Titan Z:mad:. (While i can play any game on ultra setting on my old gtx 690), So when i pulled out my old card and replace with the Titan and run the pc i get the Alienware logo on my screen and 3 beeps then my screen turns black. The card is sealed good in the slot (Had problems this card like a truck has a back plate with is really makes it hard to install do to lack of space .) Idk what those beeps mean . I called dell support they no help because i didn't buy the card from them but the guy said maybe the card is not comparable with your system, so i told him my service tag # and name of the card and his answer was sorry i just don't know because dell dot carry Titans Z. So here i Am - Card is sealed , 2x 8 pin power connected, can see the logo screen and 3 beeps, Anybody help. thank you.

Alienwulf

i don't have an Aurora anymore but you may be pulling to much power from the psu..what was your power rating on the 690 and now on the Z?

MrPicles

Well I have a standard psu 875w. My 690 required min of 650w, and titan z is minimum700w.and and both usin 8 pin connectors .i don't have alot of stuff in my PC to drove the power so don't think is the prob.

MattyB

The 3 beep code on Alienware Desktops relates to the motherboard. Not sure why that would be coming up though.
Is your BIOS updated to the latest one? Also, are you running the latest NVidia driver?

MrPicles

Hmm my BIOS is A03 , latest is A11 i guess ill have to update my BIOS and c what happens. About my Nvidia driver i Uninstall my graphic driver becouse it say so in manual ,so i use defoult windows graphic driver. Btw does it matter if my BIOS is set to UEFI or Legacy mode? ( right now its set to UEFI).

MattyB

be careful when updating your BIOS. You will usually have to do it in stages. Don't go straight to A11. Best thing is to do them all one at a time. UEFI is usually set for Windows 8. If you have Win8 then leave it. You'll find it most likely won't boot if you have it set on the wrong one.
I hope just updating the BIOS will solve your problems.
Once you've done the BIOS, update your NVidia driver from NVidia's website.

MrPicles

Hi, MattyB - So i update my BIOS like u said, by steps and it was a SUCCESS. Only problem i had my pc wont boot after update LOL,didn't recognize my SSD and blue screen. Rookie me got mad and went to sleep. This morning i remembered when you update BIOS it resets all setting to default and my windows was installed in AHCI mode. sure is it went to REID. Now all works perfect! About my Titan Z cant test it right now because EVGA has to send me a replacement card, since i told them i have problems with the card they gonna send me a new one. I have to wait 3 days now.

MattyB

Great news! Thought that may do the job. If you ever get beep codes just Google 'Alienware Beep Codes' and you should find what you need. It doesn't give you much info but it will help narrow the search.
I hope you enjoy your Titan. The 690 is still pretty awesome though so you may not see a huge improvement.
Thanks for that Alienwulf too! ;)

MrPicles

Yeh thank you for the help guys.i went with TitanZ do to huge onboard memory with is massive 12G verses 690 2G per gpu witch is can't handle texture modding on games do to lack of memory. Btw I do not recommend Titan Z , to be honest if I could buy it again I wouldn't buy it :)

holeyguy66

no i would not buy a titan z. you can buy 2 titan blacks for less then that and aso the 295x2 is cheaper and smokes it. i dunno why nvidia markets the titan as a gamers card its really more for workstation. although since i am running 2 titan scs they are still monsters.

MrPicles

Well titan z you pay for less heat, space,noise and power consumption ,2x295 in my case -would melt from heat .and noise would be like airport . 2 titan black is good but again space is limited and you need a power plant to power this cards .

moondog

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/kcs/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=496582 Desktops Beep Codes

Beep

Code

Description

BIOS ROM checksum failure - Possible MB failure (Contact Alienware)

(*)No RAM detected. (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)

Possible motherboard failure - chipset error(Contact Alienware)

RAM read/write failure (Reseat Memory modules or test individually)

Real Time Clock failure (Reseat or Replace Coin Cell Battery)

Video card failure (Reseat Video Card or Contact Alienware)

Processor Failure (Contact Alienware)

I have a the same set up of the GTX 690 and was looking at the Titan Z...
Any noticeable difference over the 690?
I would probably water-cool the Titan Z. So a bigger PSU will be needed.

MrPicles

The difference that u can go in ultra HD, little better FPS and more memory. So from my experience- I was testing in on Skyrim( not regular one . One with crazy textures mods ). 690 choked I could not even move or loot on ultra settings, after titan z on ultra settings it smooth like butter. Yes you better get it water cooled , I got my supper clocked and after 2-3 hours of full power use it gets hot so hot u can't compare to 690. Btw acoustics is bad ass so quite u can go to sleep with the card working on full power. with Bigger psu you might have to remove the hard drive slots one that is close to your psu

sway

That's one overpriced card!!! Hope you play at 4k, anything else that cards literally a waste.

tappin from the HTC M8

Last edited:

MrPicles

Lol guys this Titan Z almost fried my Aurora had to water cooled all my stuff. As for you SWAY no i don't play on 4k but i will.IMG_0102.jpgIMG_0106.jpg