Alienware Command Center??

Blaze0510

I received my M17X R4 from Alienware/Dell today... after basically being completely rebuilt. Upon setting up my Alienware Command Center for the AlienFX keyboard colors, I realized one of my lights are not lit up.

The area on the lower portion of the LCD screen where it should be lit up "Alienware" is not lit up (section #7 on the AlienFX screen below). I have a color set up in that location... Is there an off setting for this light that I'm missing?

Alienware Command Center.jpg

MattyB

Never seen a specific 'off' setting for one particular area. Usually to get one of them turned off you either have to change the color to black or 'Go Dark' which obviously turns most of them off. Sounds like there is either a problem with the software or the hardware. I would start by uninstalling CC and reinstalling. If that doesn't work, it's hardware.

Alienwulf

There is a ribbon connector under the key board that may have come lose. There are tear down videos on you tube if you want to check it yourself or call Dell Support to send a tech out to fix it. I am pretty sure when they put it together it slipped back out easy to do.

Blaze0510

I was afraid that might be my answer... thank you for your responses. Hopefully its just a lose ribbon connector...

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

It doesn't appear a lose connection under the keyboard is the problem...

MattyB

The ribbon is just for the keyboard lights. There will be an LCD connector and a smaller connector coming from the LCD. I'm guessing the smaller one is for the Alienware logo. Definitely possible that this is loose. Hopefully that's all it is. If someone worked on your machine it's possible they didn't do it properly. Hopefully they didn't crush the cable.

Blaze0510

If only it was that easy... I reseated what I could, it didn't help...

The next morning after getting my laptop my sound card was no longer being detected, so I ended up having to call support. The tech I had on the phone connected to me remotely, updated BIOS and got my sound card working again and fully installed... However, she believes the wire to that particular light in the LCD screen is broken and is supposedly going to send a technician to my home in the next 3-5 business days with a new wire to repair it.

About two hours ago I noticed my Intel sticker is missing from the usual corner Dell seems to stick them in, so I had a bad feeling and decided to check my system stats more closely. I realized I'm also missing 8 GB of RAM. So now I get to play phone tag over that come Monday...

Last edited:

MattyB

Oh man you are having a horrible time! I have a suspicious feeling that all they did was put your HDD into another machine they had. You mentioned that they said they swapped a lot of different parts around, I wouldn't be surprised if all they swapped was your HDD and the bottom guard which had your service tag/serial number. That's just my conspiracy theory.

Alienwulf

I agree sounds like something got switched. The service tag should be embedded into the bios that will tell youn if it is yours with wrong parts. Or ..

Blaze0510

Conspiracy theory or not, it sounds very logical to me now that you mention it... If this was really my computers original shell, after a year wouldn't there be a sticker residue left over on the corner from where the Intel and Windows stickers were? Or some sort of mark left over? With the smudges on the LCD screen and bits of dirt/dust I wiped off the laptop when I received it, I'd doubt they'd be to thorough trying to clean off sticker residue. Also, what would serve in the purpose of removing those anyway?!

My BIOS/Start up into Windows was different after I received my laptop back. I noticed that as soon as I turned it on out of the box...

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

The only place I knew how to check is via F2 on boot up. My Service Tag matches what it should be there... is there some place else I can check?

Last edited:

Alienwulf

No not really the service tag is embedded into the motherboard, when they came to my home and changed one the tech had to call to add the new number to my account. They may have by mistake mixed some parts it is possible to put your mobo into another shell. Either way they need to fix the problems.

Blaze0510

I'm hoping after I speak to them (again) on Monday, they can just send the missing RAM with the in-home Tech Support they are supposed to be sending me in the next 3-5 business days. After that, if I ever have to call Dell / Alienware again... it will be too soon.