test

Alienware (Dell) home user support going/gone to pot?

camberman3000

So...My M17x R4 wouldn't come back after a reboot. I did the basic troubleshooting and the drive wouldn't respond properly. I tried reloading windows, but the drive wouldn't even allow me to get to the upgrade/install page, so I tried a linux boot disk, and no dice there getting to the drive.

I then removed the hard disk, put it into an external enclosure and got the scan and fix message. I tried it and it ground for hours with no luck. So, I disconnected it and tried again without the scan and fix to try and get some data off of it, but no luck there either. The copy died midway (Yes, I had backups)

Then I put another hard drive into the laptop and installed windows, yadda yadda, and it's been running great for days.

NOW, Alienware support will not give me another drive unless I put the original back in and go through their diagnostic process over the phone. Sorry, not gonna waste an hour of my time to come to the already known conclusion that the drive is toast, especially since it's a cheapo WD 500gb Sata 3.0gb drive.

I couldn't even get a supervisor override, even though I told them I used to own a "brick and mortar" computer repair store, and have over 12 years exp. as a workstation and server architect, having designed and built million dollar VMware farms and off-site disaster recovery environments. I have NEVER had a problem with Dell until now, and not sure why they would send me a motherboard and LCD screen a few months ago (user install, not dell tech) when that was acting up, but won't send me a hard drive...

What gives?

AeonSoul

Sad to hear that, it's pretty obvious that the drive died, but on the other hand I suppose they just want to make sure of that to be sure you're not scamming them or any shady stuff like that. I know it sucks balls, I wouldn't even understand why they need you to go through an hour long diagnostic process, but meh, what can you do.

I suppose it's either that or forget the drive :/

camberman3000

Well, considering I run 4 hard drives in this rig, it would be a PITA to remove them all just to test one boot drive that I'm 100% certain is dying. I'd say when you try it in the original machine, then a secondary machine, then an external enclosure and the result is identical, that would be fairly conclusive.

BTW, the boot drive is the MSata 64gb, then a 750gb hybrid in slot 0, a 120gb ssd in slot 1, and a 500gb wd black in the optical drive bay. :)

camberman3000

How are you running 4 drives?

The M17x R4 comes with an MSata slot, which is a real pain in the butt to get to. You have to take the entire laptop apart... Then, there are 2 standard laptop drive slots under the bottom cover, and I replaced the bluray drive with a hard drive caddy. That makes a total of 4. :)

Starkiller91

Huh I didn't even know you could fit a third drive in there, I currently have a 128GB SSD and a 750GB HD, but when you get your alienware with no notice you learn new stuff all the time.