test

ALIENWARE HORROR STORIES - Are they true?

Blaze0510

I'd love to know what strings you pulled to get AW to repair your laptop onsite and for free... I had to ship mine to them and its anything but free. I bought brand new, directly from AW, and my warranty ran out barely two months ago.

MattyB

I didn't pull any strings. I've developed a good contact in the Dell service department in the Australasia region over the past few years. It's all done from China I believe. Not sure if the US one is based there too.
I didn't even asked them to do it for free. I just asked for whatever help they could give me and I was very pleasantly surprised.
The repair dude is here right now with a pile of new parts.
I guess that since the US market is so much bigger than down here, they maybe can't quite give the same service.

Alienwulf

Repairs here are in home also and the tech center I deal with is in Costa Rica. Great bunch of guys down there I have some contacts I deal with over the years. Main reason I buy Alienware is the service.

Just to throw my two cents in there: my X51 died after about eight months. Still under warranty. Tech support over the phone couldn't fix it. Sent out a tech to replace parts. No dice. Sent out another tech to replace more parts. Still no joy. A few days later I had a replacement rig, sent out with a TactX keyboard (I just had the stock keyboard before).

Tech is complicated and sometimes is bad. With any large purchase, get the warranty. My wife and I have had two Dell desktops, two Dell laptops, plus the X51. The X51 is the only one there was a problem with and the customer support was pro. Seriously. They responded promptly, they fixed the problem, and I really couldn't be happier.

Blaze0510

I can't speak for all repairs, but for my own AW I had to shipped to Texas for repair. They never offered to send anyone to repair my machine onsite or anything of that sort. I don't know if that's because I self diagnosed the issue or not?

shankc

It Depends on what warranty you get mind you I thought all Alienware systems came with at least 1year Next Business day onsite fix and software help is extra but I got the NBD warranty and if they cant remotely fix the problem they have always sent out an engineer the next day

Blaze0510

Hmm, no idea what warranty that would have been probably whatever the most basic one. I had just gotten the one they automatically give you with a new system.

Hmm, no idea what warranty that would have been probably whatever the most basic one. I had just gotten the one they automatically give you with a new system.

My wife actually bought the system for me as a Christmas present and got the two-year onsite Warranty. When it comes to high-dollar purchases, she tries to leave nothing to chance.

timeshift

i think you should all know this !

bad news with the alienware !
i bought an awesome Alienware 18 on the 15th of March 2014 .
brought it home , and in the evening , i turned on the rig .
after an hour or so , it had a short display flicker , that i though it was due to overheating and thought that something was blocking the backside vents. during that evening nothing happen .
on the 16th , the screen flicker was more and more " violent " , and i decided to reinstall W8 with the recovery DVD that came with the package . same thing happen again : the flickers are more and more often and " stronger " .
on the 17th , in the morning , every windows log in was meet with a flicker .
decided i can't handle it , and thought it was a bad driver . so i installed Windows 7.
it worked fine for some time , till the flickers started messing around with me .
i had an idea to connect the laptop to my TV via HDMI , and strangely , the laptop's display was flickering , while the TV wasn't , so i immediately ruled out drivers or video cards .
after doing some research , i've found out that some other people had the same problem as me (different forum) and it's possibly either the display or the cables that make the connections .
strangely , if i tilt the display , in different positions it doesn't flicker ... so i'm guessing it's a connector .

here's how my problem is manifesting :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9Cx-QHp28

other guy that had the same problem :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR3tPsG2QGo

MattyB

Yep. Definitely sounds/looks like a bad display connection or cable. i had a friend who had something similar on an M17x R4 but it turned out to the the GPU since it was happening on an external display too. You should have a next business day service on your warranty if you bought it from Dell but since you say you 'brought it home' then I'm guessing you bought it from a reseller?
It may just be a bad connection in which case I would open it up and have a go myself. Hopefully it's the connection to the mainboard and not the board itself. It could also be the connection to the back of the LCD. I've never pulled one of these apart though so I'm not sure how hard that could be. The cable may have been damaged somehow though which would make life harder.

timeshift

@ MattyB :

yes , i bought the laptop from a reseller , since Alienware doesn't sell in these parts .
as for opening it up , i asked the clerk from the shop if i my laptop has a secondary bay for HDD , and he replied with " what for ? " ... in my mind i was thinking that a secondary hdd bay is for parking a car ! anyways , i explained to him that i have a HDD , and guess what : he said " do you have it with you ? cause we can only do it at the shop " ... meaning that opening it it's off limits ... communists !

anyways , hope i can have the laptop in a week , i can't last longer than that ;)

Blaze0510

Adding to my related nightmare... Previously, I stated how I had sudden LCD problems... tilting the screen had no effect, hooking it up to an external monitor my screen showed through clearly... thus eliminating the graphic card as the source of the problem, at least to my knowledge. Upon finally getting ahold of Alienware Out of Warranty Support (which took 5 days after the problem occurred via the information I was given - 14 month old laptop) I was able to ship it to them and have them repair it, on my dime, of course. My problem started February 27th.

I received my laptop back yesterday. The repair order states that they fixed/replaced: DPK Card, Processor, LCD Panel, Motherboard, and Video Card. I was hoping this would be the end of my problems! I was horribly mistaken.

3 hours later, I realized my one accent light is not operating... the one that states "Alienware" below the LCD screen. Okay, whatever, not a huge deal... I'll talk to an Agent about it when I get ahold of them. I turn on the laptop this morning, I notice my volume icon in the tray is x'ed out. I click on it, thinking it got muted some how and receive the Windows troubleshooting window. Thinking this was odd, I proceeded to my Device Manager to see what was going on... low and behold my sound card is not being detected at all.

After 45 frustrating minutes of being transferred and re-transferred around on Dell's Customer Service phone lines, someone finally told me I could not speak to someone until noon (my time) because of my Warranty being expired. I don't even know how to describe how I feel at this point... what is beyond frustrated?

Blaze0510

Today I noticed I am now missing 8 GB of RAM from my laptop after receiving it back from being repaired. I am so tired of this.

timeshift

aha ha ... sorry but that sounds funny !
i wouldn't like to walk in your shoes but ... i feel you man ! especially since my 3 days old laptop is still in the shops :-S

send them an e-mail with a screen shot of your configuration , and see how they're responding .
arm yourself with patience ... you'll need it !

MattyB

I wish you guys were down here. I'd put you onto my guy who is awesome!