Alienware lighting control for Area 51??

Mkbvb

Dec 11, 2019
US
Hey guys, I just picked up another Area 51 after fedex destroyed my last attempt. It has all the original CDs, box, manuals etc. I went ahead and did a fresh recovery via the included Alienware recover media, but it doesn’t contain the software to control the lighting (only a link to download) I know you can change the color by the switches on the lighting control board but does anyone know where to find software that I can use to adjust the lighting... Thanks and here is a pic of the new rig

Attachments

• 791C74C0-5276-4F51-B576-576C2CAEF19D.jpeg
    791C74C0-5276-4F51-B576-576C2CAEF19D.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 8B020D08-C4D7-4AD7-8F97-669C57E3DA8F.jpeg
    8B020D08-C4D7-4AD7-8F97-669C57E3DA8F.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 10
  • A2ADF0C7-29F7-485A-AD15-4AE2FDEB48E7.jpeg
    A2ADF0C7-29F7-485A-AD15-4AE2FDEB48E7.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 21

Andrew_J994

Aug 10, 2016
The lights may only be controlled by software by using an AlienFX Active Card. If your card has switches its a Passive and may only be controlled from the switches. Active cards seem hard to come by, I lucked out and got one from my ELC Combo from Florida. If you do have or obtain an Active Card someone here on the forum should have the software needed to control it.

It is worth noting however, most Active Cards aren't interchangeable between revisions I believe, you need a special 24pin splice connector for power, and future software support may be left in the dark. If could, I would stick with the Passive. And if the Passive ever dies, a seller has a ton of them NOS listed on eBay for $12 Each.

Partha's AlienFX Lighting Guide Should have a readout for light settings using the DIP Switches on the card. If I find the Link I will post it, if not Im sure a fellow member will have a complete copy with pictures.

Good Luck with you Build/PC!

Mkbvb

Dec 11, 2019
US
The lights may only be controlled by software by using an AlienFX Active Card. If your card has switches its a Passive and may only be controlled from the switches. Active cards seem hard to come by, I lucked out and got one from my ELC Combo from Florida. If you do have or obtain an Active Card someone here on the forum should have the software needed to control it.

It is worth noting however, most Active Cards aren't interchangeable between revisions I believe, you need a special 24pin splice connector for power, and future software support may be left in the dark. If could, I would stick with the Passive. And if the Passive ever dies, a seller has a ton of them NOS listed on eBay for $12 Each.

Partha's AlienFX Lighting Guide Should have a readout for light settings using the DIP Switches on the card. If I find the Link I will post it, if not Im sure a fellow member will have a complete copy with pictures.

Good Luck with you Build/PC!
Andrew,
Thanks for the information!!! Really appreciate it. So I stumbled upon an Area 51 ALX qx9770 tri gpu on eBay and won the bid... I’ve been bitten by the Alienware bug

Reactions: Andrew_J994
Reactions: Mkbvb

Andrew_J994

Aug 10, 2016
Jeez Man that ALX Is insane! Brought up the listing, Case looks to be in good shape too! Owner must most definitely taken care of it. Tip for you, On that ALX, try not to seperate the fan from the block, those are tricky to put back together. Alienware Bug is definitely real, bought 4 of them since early September. Good Luck again

Andrew_J994

Aug 10, 2016
Also side note, The ALX had the 24pin splice adapter, very good chance that it has an active card, wouldnt be surprised, mostly high-end machines had them. Also If you still have the wrecked machine, use it for parts! dont disgard it, parts for these and systems are going to keep getting more and more scarce, stay ahead while you can.

I have a Alienware Area 51 Full tower that I purchased new back on 6/27/2003. I have never seen the Alienware Logo on the front light up so I pulled the 4 screws out of the inside door panel and there is no wiring running to the logo. Guess back in the day, you had to pay for the lighting package which I failed to purchase.