Alienware M14 vs MSI GS70

msalmank

Oct 15, 2014
Pakistan
Hi,

I am trying to decide between two laptops; the Alienware M14 & the MSI GS70 Stealth. From the reviews that i've read, both are highly recommended but I'm having a difficult time coming to a decision.

The Alienware M14 model that I've looked at includes:
Intel i7-4710MQ
Windows 8.1
16 GB DDR3
1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
14" FHD display
Nvidia GT765M 2GB Graphics Card
Approx Cost: $1850

Whereas the MSI has the following specs:
Intel i7-4710HQ
Windows 8.1
16 GB DDR3
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
17.3" FHD display
NVidia GTX860M 2GB
Approx Cost: $1700

MSI GS70 offers more value for the money (better graphics card + larger display, though lower SSD), but Alienware is... well, it's Alienware.

How reliable are Alienware machines? I will only be playing the occasional games on the laptop and will primarily be using them for hard-core development. Most of the time I have more than 4 instances of Visual Studio running simultaneously and compiling code, etc. along with SQL Server 2012 Standard/Enterprise and other heavy-duty software being used (including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, VMWare Virtual Machines, etc.)

Based off of my requirements, I'm considering both the MSI and Alienware as both are seemingly powerful machines but since neither are available locally in my country (Pakistan), I am having the machine purchased and delivered from abroad by my brother who's coming to Pakistan end of this month.

Which machine would you recommend?

Regards.
Salman Khalid.