test

Alienware M17 R1 Build

Andrew_J994

Before I start off, This is my first Alienware Laptop and I will make mistakes when working with it as you will see later on.

Hey everyone! I have just received my M17 R1 Barebone in the mail. First Impressions, Very nice and feels quality unlike newer laptops. This model has the backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader! Something Ive always wanted was this laptop with a fingerprint reader!
Things I need:
-Motherboard (Broke it on accident FML)
-CPU
-RAM
-GPU Heatsinks
-GPUs
-HDDs/SSDs
-Skullcap LCD Backing
-Battery
Things I have or have purchased:
-Backlit OEM Keyboard
-CPU Heatsink

So I was going to install the keyboard, everything was fine until the connector for the power/media keys broke. I never knew I spoke so many languages when this happened. FML, Motherboard is on the list now. This has already gone from a $150 build to a $200+.

Other than that, I want to fit the highest end components in here that I can find currently. Ive heard some people have got 8Gb running in their machines so I want 8gb, Quad Core CPU, Some sort of powerful GPU combo.

Not too concerned on power adapters considering they accept the same as the M11,14,17,18X Line up so Im selling my ROG Laptop to buy an M17X r3 or R4 as well because I prefer the Finish and feel of the Alienwares over other brands.

Also gonna use left overs for the rest of this build. Thanks, -Andrew

MattyB

Good luck with your build. Will be interesting to see if you can get all the parts you need. I've heard that it's really hard to get batteries for the old machines.
Post some pics.
It's possible that someone could repair the connector. I'm assuming it needs soldering back the board.

Andrew_J994

Yeah batteries are impossible to find right now, board cant be repaired as the connector ripped off taking the green off the pcb with it. Ordered a new board from my heatsink seller for $30 shipped. Will definetly post pics later on, again gonna use the M17x Charger to supply bower until I can find a battery. Thanks, -Andrew

MattyB

Can't argue with $30. What GPU's are you going to try? Can the GTX 400 series cards work?

Andrew_J994

Can't argue with $30. What GPU's are you going to try? Can the GTX 400 series cards work?
Not Sure yet. Dont know If i want to try a newer solution or play it safe with a pair of 3870s or 4850s if i can find them at a good price.

MattyB

I think I read that the 5870s work but I have no experience with AMD

Andrew_J994

Yeah not willing to risk that kind of money without confirmation, but this wont be for modern games, more for games of the era type deal.

Anyway, New mobo Arrived very fast, CPU heatsink Arrived after almost a week, wtf! GPU heatsink arrived 2 days after sale!! 12/5-7. Couldnt pass up the deal I got for only $13.

Still looking out for a battery, lcd cover, CPU, RAM and GPU(s).

Thanks, -Andrew

Andrew_J994

Does anyone have specs, or model number for the M17 R1 AC Adapter? Thanks, -Andrew

Andrew_J994

Validated Charger compatibility for both laptops. At a standstill currently, empty slots and disconnected wires leaving me scratching my head. New motherboard is in after a lot of “love” safe to say I dislike laptop work but i will continue to fight onwards! M17 R1 Owners!! Please check underneath the small silver shield underneath your keyboard and let me know whats there! Thanks, -Andrew

MattyB

I don't know how many owners are out there in the wild. I hope you piece it together though

alienwarebob

Were you able to find the latest OSD (2.1) or Command Center? Seems to be no copies on the internet. I do have the OEM version that shipped with it, but hoping to have all of the latest drivers. I found a Windows 7 64bit archive online, but it was missing CC and OSD drivers

Andrew_J994

Not gonna lie, I havent touched this thing in months, I dont think M17s ever came with windows 7, im pretty sure they only came with vista. But, no I havent found or bought any software for it.