Alienware M17xR3 Mod I was thinking of...

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine got this hdd caddy for his DVD ROM slot on his Asus Republic.

hddcaddy.png

Heres a link
http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_46

Im thinking of doing this with my M17xR3 and setting up an extra storage hdd for all my OSes. Since I have 4 on my system extra space is hard to come by and the fact that I never use DVD's or BR's.

Has anyone here done this?

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
No I have never but I am REALLY INTERESTED in how you quad boot! I usually boot win7 and UE 3 series of Linux but i am curious in how to do this Quad boot thing ;)

HDD0: 240GB SSD - Split in half for a Windows 8 Partition a Windows 7 Partition
HDD1: 750GB HDD - 425 GB Partition for Windows - 114GB Mac Partition for Mountain Lion - 114GB Linux Partition for Ubuntu - 8GB Mac Installer Partition- To boot my MAC OSX, I set my bios to ACPI instead of RAID and set to boot from second HDD, then I use a Chimera bootloader using the "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag and modified DSDT/kexts to run the OS.

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
preinstall.png

Received the Caddy today, Im going to start the install sometime this weekend and record the tutorial video. I was planning on putting a 5400 rpm 1 TB drive in the new bay. But Ive decided to go a different route (Module 0 = 240GB Vertex 3 SSD + Module 1 = 240GB Vertex 3 SSD) These drives will be in a RAID 0. My Caddy Bay will be a Intel 335 Series SSD 240GB with the new 20nm Flash memory (low power)
No more mechanical HDD's and my temps should stay at a decent level with the amount of drive bays.

DDuB420

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto ON CA
Well, slight delay in my plans. I went over to a friends house today to record the video\install, work called and I had to go in to fix the network. Im not going to be able to record tonight. I did take some pictures when I was setting up the SSD's for the RAID 0.

shot1u.png

shot2o.png

I have to return tomorrow at 6am so Im not sure when I will resume this project. Ill keep you guys posted.