test

Alienware M17xR3 Mod I was thinking of...

DDuB420

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine got this hdd caddy for his DVD ROM slot on his Asus Republic.

Heres a link
http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_46

Im thinking of doing this with my M17xR3 and setting up an extra storage hdd for all my OSes. Since I have 4 on my system extra space is hard to come by and the fact that I never use DVD's or BR's.

Has anyone here done this?

DeRon1

No I have never but I am REALLY INTERESTED in how you quad boot! I usually boot win7 and UE 3 series of Linux but i am curious in how to do this Quad boot thing ;)

DDuB420

No I have never but I am REALLY INTERESTED in how you quad boot! I usually boot win7 and UE 3 series of Linux but i am curious in how to do this Quad boot thing ;)

HDD0: 240GB SSD - Split in half for a Windows 8 Partition a Windows 7 Partition
HDD1: 750GB HDD - 425 GB Partition for Windows - 114GB Mac Partition for Mountain Lion - 114GB Linux Partition for Ubuntu - 8GB Mac Installer Partition- To boot my MAC OSX, I set my bios to ACPI instead of RAID and set to boot from second HDD, then I use a Chimera bootloader using the "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag and modified DSDT/kexts to run the OS.

DeRon1

thanks m8 for the heads up! I will have to try on one the other Rigs I have b4 my alienware.. gud day

DDuB420

When ever you do decide to, send me a message if you need help with anything.

DDuB420

I just ordered the caddy today, in a couple weeks ill have a tutorial video posted up in the mod section on how to install it in a m17xr3
I'll update this thread when I've posted it.

yikes81

Yes please. I may be up for an upgrade later on as well, and a video would be helpful.

DDuB420

Received the Caddy today, Im going to start the install sometime this weekend and record the tutorial video. I was planning on putting a 5400 rpm 1 TB drive in the new bay. But Ive decided to go a different route (Module 0 = 240GB Vertex 3 SSD + Module 1 = 240GB Vertex 3 SSD) These drives will be in a RAID 0. My Caddy Bay will be a Intel 335 Series SSD 240GB with the new 20nm Flash memory (low power)
No more mechanical HDD's and my temps should stay at a decent level with the amount of drive bays.

jackgarcia7

So you will have 3 ssd'd correct? Also please let me know if there is a noticeable temperature drop.

DDuB420

So you will have 3 ssd'd correct? Also please let me know if there is a noticeable temperature drop.

Yep 3 SSD's, I'm sure it will make a difference with noise and system temp. I'll post my results when I collect the data.

yikes81

So what happens to the slot on the side? Just sits there right?

Sent via Tapatalk

DDuB420

Im planning on running a cut strip of electrical tape on the edge of the caddy thats flush with the slot hole on the case. It will be flush to the inner opening and look like its just blackened out

Last edited:

jackgarcia7

Your close to finishing upload pics as soon as possible. Also let me know if you miss the cd drive

DDuB420

I have an external BR drive, Im not going to miss this DVD DL Drive :cool:
Im going to upload the pics as soon as im done on Saturday, then edit the video sometime on Sunday after work.
Hopefully have the Vid posted sometime next week...

DDuB420

Well, slight delay in my plans. I went over to a friends house today to record the video\install, work called and I had to go in to fix the network. Im not going to be able to record tonight. I did take some pictures when I was setting up the SSD's for the RAID 0.

I have to return tomorrow at 6am so Im not sure when I will resume this project. Ill keep you guys posted.

jacobberke

Haha jeeze 3 SSD that's gonna be one crazy machine.

I'm currently saving up for 1 ssd lol.