test

Alienware M17xR4 1/3 of Keyboard Randomly Stops Working

Coatal

About one third of my keyboard (including but not limited to T, R, Ctrl, Backspace, 3, etc etc) will randomly stop working with no sort of indication I can see, then a few minutes later start working again. There's never been anything spilled on it and it's never been dropped or anything. Also lately when the problem randomly occurs, pressing the left side of the space bar doesn't work but the right side does, it's so frustrating. I bought an Alienware because I read they were renowned for being stable and problem-free and now this is happening.

Does anyone know how to fix this or have the same problem? I don't know if there are any driver problems or anything. I have the latest BIOS and stuff.

The computer was purchased in America but I'm in China now. It's still under warranty until next month but I don't think I'll be going home until at least October.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

DDuB420

One of the keyboard cables could be loose
http://www.dell.com/support/trouble...ticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=&s=dhs&docid=543192

You could try to reseat the ribbon cables, worth a shot.

AeonSoul

Look I never tried anything on a laptop before, but when I wanted to swap my RAM I had to remove the keyboard to do that. It's easier than it seems. The only tricky part is to feel when the cables are in their seating to you can close the ribbon. Beside that, you just need to remove a couple of screws and the bezel around the keyboard.